1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have TMS after a spinal surgery?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by LeoNY, Mar 24, 2016.

1. LeoNY

LeoNY Newcomer

This was also posted on "General Discussion Subforum" but I think is best to post it here, sorry new to this site

Hey everybody I'm so glad I found this forum!

I'm 27 years old and back in 2011 I had a major accident and a big injury on my lower back, and since then I've had days where my back felt major pain and others where my back was just great, for example on those great days I ran, played soccer, and even did yoga! However, after a while, the pain always came back. So after a few visits to the doctor and after trying everything (PT and epidural shots) I was told I had a herniated disk.

Therefore, last April (2015) I've decided to have spinal fusion (L4 L5) and since then I feel like a made a HUGE mistake even though my physician and surgeon both said the surgery went great and that I should give it some time to heal. However, the pain has been worse than ever, I can't bend, can't lift and in a way I feel like I butchered my body (I know it sounds extreme), and extremely hopeless for a future recovery.

I've heard of Dr. Sarno from listening to Howard Stern and reading the good review on Amazon, so I decided to pick up a copy of "Healing Back Pain". I'm a few pages in and I already feel hopeless because from what I've read so far it seems like people only get TMS from a minor injury, and also from what I've read here, in this forum, surgery is a big no no.

I'm freaking out over the possible mistake I made of getting spinal fusion and the possibility of never recovering.

Has anyone of you recovered from a spinal fusion after trying Dr. Sarno's method? Do I have TMS? Should I continue reading the book?

I would love to hear from you guys and thank you so much!

2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Leo, I haven't had a spinal fusion, but I do think you can have TMS from fear. Sarno does talk about people post-accidents and how their pain can still be TMS long after the bones have healed.
    Probably the most comforting thing I can tell you is that I know a massage therapist who works with people with extreme spine deformities, all walks of life. She told me that these people are not in pain even though their backs are amazingly deformed or fused or whatever. So, it's not about the surgery which has healed. I think you are frightened.

Read the book again, if you can. And read other posts on here. People have had surgeries and accidents and are recovered or making progress with the Sarno approach.

This is a good place for you.

joe house likes this.
  3. LeoNY

LeoNY Newcomer

Thank you for your kindly response.
    I'm farther into the book now, and I'm starting to see more of myself in it
    Thanks again!