1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have TMS after a spinal surgery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by LeoNY, Mar 24, 2016.

1. LeoNY

LeoNY Newcomer

Hey everybody I'm so glad I found this forum!

I'm 27 years old and back in 2011 I had a major accident and a big injury on my lower back, and since then I've had days where my back felt major pain and others where my back was just great, for example on those great days I ran, played soccer, and even did yoga! However, after a while, the pain always came back. So after a few visits to the doctor and after trying everything (PT and epidural shots) I was told I had a herniated disk.

Therefore, last April (2015) I've decided to have spinal fusion (L4 L5) and since then I feel like a made a HUGE mistake even though my physician and surgeon both said the surgery went great and that I should give it some time to heal. However, the pain has been worse than ever, I can't bend, can't lift and in a way I feel like I butchered my body (I know it sounds extreme), and extremely hopeless for a future recovery.

I've heard of Dr. Sarno from listening to Howard Stern and reading the good reviews on Amazon, so I decided to pick up a copy of "Healing Back Pain". I'm a few pages in and I already feel hopeless because from what I've read so far it seems like people only get TMS from a minor injury, and also from what I've read here, in this forum, surgery is a big no no.

I'm freaking out over the possible mistake I made of getting spinal fusion and the possibility of never recovering.

Has anyone of you recovered from a spinal fusion after trying Dr. Sarno's method? Do I have TMS? Should I continue reading the book?

I would love to hear from you guys and thank you so much!

Sienna likes this.
  2. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Welcome Leo!!

Please note that I am not a doctor and I've not had spinal fusion (although I seriously considered it at one time). If you continue to experience pain, you may want to seek the opinion of a medical doctor or even better... a TMS doctor. That said...

In my opinion and and experience of being free from back and other pain for over eight years, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot fully recover after having spinal fusion surgery. I believe Dr. Sarno would tell you the same thing. I believe he had many patients who recovered that did have surgery of one type or another. The body is miraculous at healing.

There is no "TMS rule" that I'm aware of that says once you've had spinal fusion or any surgery then it's too late to try Dr. Sarno's approach. So please don't feel that way! I had surgery for Tennis Elbow and it never got better until I accepted it was TMS. I've been pain free ever since.

Best of luck to you!!

LeoNY likes this.
  3. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hi Leo,

You might have TMS after all the previous pain and conditioning.
    I had surgery myself too, you can read my story and my pain went thanks to the tms approach. - although mine was a minor surgery, you can read my success story,.
    I think also Pandamonium had your type of surgery and recovered.

If you go to thankyoudrsarno.org, there are lots of back pain recover stories that might help you.

GOOD LUCK!

LeoNY likes this.
  4. LeoNY

LeoNY Newcomer

Hey guys thank you so much for your responses!
    I will follow up with the book
    Thanks again!

Cap'n Spanky and Sienna like this.