1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

DLF

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by DLF, Nov 24, 2015.

1. DLF

DLF Newcomer

Hello,

I have read Dr. Sarno's book and knew that this was me ( is me) and was very excited. I am on day three of the program and am very excited.

My back pain has bothered me since I was in my twenties, but nothing that stopped me from running my half marathons and living my life. After getting engaged to my loving husband in my thirties, my back pain was more prevalent and I stopped running. Outside stress that in laws put on us was awful. I went to chiropractors and believed that this helped me...never contributing my pain to stress. Fast forward 10 plus years, and 3 wonderful children later. Still more back pain....but now acute attacks that would cripple me with fear of having another because I was afraid to move. MRI'S X-RAYS showed typical things...L4L5 4MM disc bulge, but I had had that since I was a teen and was symptom free.

Now, that I know what is going on my plan of attack is clear.... start the SEP , STOP the OCD thoughts of fear of another attack by telling my mind to shut up, journal and exercise. I have a goal to run again, but that fear is pretty prevalent. So, I will keep posting to see when I get to it.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, DLF. You have done yourself a very big favor by reading Dr. Sarno's book and starting the SEprogram. Some repressed emotion(s) apparently from your early life apparently have surfaced to cause you back pain and stress. The medical diagnoses that you have gotten are common to us all, and the symptoms are caused by our emotions. They are not caused by anything structural.

I had back pain too, until I read Sarno and did the TMS program. I came to realize I was repressing childhood stresses when my parents divorced when I was seven. I felt a strong sense of insecurity, but journaling in the SEP led me to realize my parents had TMS pains of their own... Mom had migraines and suicidal tendencies, and Dad had very bad back pain. All apparently caused by financial problems during the 1930s Great Depression. I came to realize that and forgave them. Forgiving ended my back pain.

I think many people today have similar financial or emotional problems that cause them anxiety and pain.

Try not to think about your pain and spend some time enjoying each day. You will run again, fear not!

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow! Count your blessings, not your fears. As one person I read about who has a lot to grieve about said, the Lord will help him survive and "The best is yet to come!"