1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Disturbed by Diaologue Exercise, Day 15

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by gnnmi, Dec 10, 2020.

1. gnnmi

gnnmi New Member

Today I did the dialogue exercise where you ask, Why did you_____? I started the dialogue with a person who harmed me recently, but it gave me the creeps and I had to stop. I then did it with someone from my childhood and it was easier but still disturbing. Am I not ready for this exercise maybe? I read the assignment early this morning and put it off all day, then finished tonight. My symptoms have diminished delightfully since I began the program, but today they resurfaced. Should I skip an exercise that I find disturbing or try to complete it? Thank you.

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

In general, I think it's fine to take a break with the program, or skip some exercises (ideally come back to them at some point). However, the fact that your symptoms worsened while dealing with these memories/exercises seems to imply that your brain does not want you thinking about them . . . which means you have to deal with them, at some point. Otherwise, it is possible the symptoms may persist to keep you from avoiding this topic.

The best advice I can give is that if you find certain topics and exercises you are scared or worried about addressing, try to have a mental health professional on standby. I was seeing a therapist weekly when I went through the program, so I would save exercises that I knew would be really hard for the day of or before a therapy session. That way the therapist could help me feel more grounded after getting all upset.

JanAtheCPA and Ellen like this.
  3. gnnmi

gnnmi New Member

Great advice, thanks!

4. Hedger

Hedger Well known member

I found the dialogue exercise to be easier to apply when I had a present gain of understanding the other party more, like in an argument with my spouse.

I also had difficulties applying it to some old memory (like a bully or similar) that is now longer in my life. Or someone I truly dislike in my current life (at work). I just got angry that I had to try to think like them.

Maybe I will revisit that way of writing later.