1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Displacement Success Pattern

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you ever done things to avoid doing other things -- it's known as 'displacement'.
    Displacement happens when you don't consciously know that you're doing one thing to avoid doing another.
    Example -- I need to journal or ponder over my current and past pressures, really reflect on my day to day stressors; I don't really want to do that, so I paint the kitchen.
    If I'd been told to paint the kitchen, I might have displaced that activity by writing in my journal! I might also convince myself that the alternative activity really did need doing urgently.

But now we have created procrastination displacement that is deeply unsatisfying - you can't even properly enjoy your accomplishment of painting the kitchen because part of you knows you should be doing something else - like learning mindfulness meditation.
    Procrastination thrives on displacement. And when you procrastinate, it feels uncomfortable.
    So here's how to stop yourself displacing:
    1. Focus on how you'll feel later if you don't do what you need to do now.
    2. Let that discomfort drive you to relieve it by doing what you need to do.
    You see what you're doing there?
    Get into a habit of doing that thing you want to do but you just don't do and watch your hope and joy skyrocket.

P.S. This is only for what you know you can do ok.:) But don't limit yourself -- Go all out.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Good advice, Herbie.
    And for those who can't do it or don't want to do something, maybe try doing a little of it at a time.
    It can lead do doing some of it, and then to doing it all.