1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr. Clarke DISNEYS FROZEN ELSA(probably has tms)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Richsimm22, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

tigerlilly likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I like the messages in the song but have to say (and probably will be called an old foggey),
    the melody and singing sounds like every other Disney song of the last 20 years.

But the messages are excellent. Let it go and let the storm rage on and nothing will bother me.

I like to be able to hum or whistle a song, and new songs I just can't remember the melody.

Sorry to be sidetracked because the lyrics are excellent.

North Star and Richsimm22 like this.
  3. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

I, too, liked the message and the writing, but the song is torture. I wonder why they do this, always the same tone of voice and music style. I guess children don't mind, but mostly girls. Boys very seldom like this kind of music.
    Leonor

North Star likes this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

"And the fear that once controlled me can't get to me at all"

She knows her stuff. Very Good

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Leonor. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds so many songs today to be repetitious...
    same style of singing, same voice. The songs all sound the same.

The new songs nominated for an Oscar as best song in a movie are all the same to me.
    Like cookie cutter songs.

A friend's teenage daughter spent a lot of his money on singing lessons.
    I listened to her CD and she sounded like 100 other singers.
    Of course she went nowhere with her singing.

As least the Frozen Elsa song had some good messages.

But I'll skip the movie as I do all Disney movies now. They haven't been very good
    for years.

North Star likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Richsimm22,

Yes, the lyrics and the story of Elsa seem very related to TMS. And it's not every day you see the word 'fractals' in a Disney lyric. :)

But I am mystified by the sexism displayed at the end of the video, where suddenly Elsa is in heels with a dress with a high slit, etc. etc. Isn't she supposed to be a heroine for young girls? That just ruined it for me, Disney. What is this, the 1950's? :grumpy:

North Star likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I was glad the song won the Oscar last night but the singer was awful.
    I couldn't understand the lyrics except for the title words.
    And her low-cut dress was very distracting.

And in the tribute to The Wizard of Oz, I'd rather they showed Judy Garland singing
    "Over the Rainbow" instead of the woman who sang it. She too was awful.

I miss Judy and Ella and Frank. They sang so you heard the words and understood them.

North Star likes this.
  8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Brene Brown, recent did a Facebook post about Frozen's appearance at the Oscars. Dr. Brown is a research professor at The University of Houston. She has spent the past ten years studying vulnerability, courage, shame, and authenticity.

Here's what she wrote:

Shame had an Oscar moment!

Love the song "Let it Go" - such powerful shame resilience lyrics. "Conceal it, don't feel it" is a dangerous way to live.

When the writers of the song, Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Bobby Lopez, accepted their Oscars, they said to their daughters, "Never let fear or shame keep you from being the unique people you are.”

Here's my favorite version of LET IT GO - it's in 25 different languages! ​

I thought it was interesting to pay a little attention to the differences between the languages. More striking, perhaps, were the similarities, though.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Great TMS healing messages in "Let It Go."

I just watched the video and caught the differences in words between the languages.
    The lyrics reached a lot of people all over the world.

For one song, we became One World.

I speak and know a little German so I caught a lot of it in that one of the 25 languages.
    The emotion comes through in any language.

North Star likes this.
  10. davidclarke

davidclarke Author & Physician

My granddaughters, ages 4 and 2, love this song so much they sang it for me (several times) during my last visit. Of course, their voices and recall for words are such that I couldn't catch all the lyrics until I looked them up on line. Then I was struck, as many here have been, of the resonance with the journey from childhood distress to healing. For example:

Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
    Be the good girl you always have to be
    Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know

is the norm during years when the child suffers. But then the child grows up, leaves the family of origin behind and recognizes that:

It’s funny how some distance
    Makes everything seem small
    And the fears that once controlled me
    Can’t get to me at all

Often accompanying this stage is the feeling that the person deserves better than the way they have been treated in the past. People who reach this stage often come to believe that:

It’s time to see what I can do
    To test the limits and break through
    No right, no wrong, no rules for me
    I’m free

It is often at this point in recovery from childhood stress that people are able to accept a positive and mutually supportive personal relationship in their lives, often for the first time following serial toxic partners. They are also able to ease off the perfectionism they needed to survive the early challenges so that "That perfect girl is gone."

It is also often a time to "Let the storm rage on" since appropriate anger about past maltreatment grows stronger. My concept of the cause of TMS/PPD is that this anger (not fully recognized and therefore not capable of verbal expression) is expressed via the body. When an individual is willing to "Let it go" and "Let the storm rage on" then the anger is recognized, understood to be justifiable and expressed more and more in verbal form, allowing the physical symptoms to subside and:

My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
    And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
    I’m never going back,
    The past is in the past

This is a lot to hang on a Disney song and adults can certainly point out that validation of yourself is a lot easier when you have a superpower and look like a Scandinavian bikini model. But the message clearly came through to my granddaughters that expressing yourself is both a good and a powerful thing to do which is a message we can all support.

11. nancy

nancy Well known member

I loved this song, thought it was great for youngsters and also thought of TMS and what a healing
    effect it could have. Thumbs

North Star likes this.
  12. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Great discussion. The song was brought to my attention by the post Forest reposted from Brene Brown.

Walt, I'm an old fogey with you. Gimme Bing Crosby, Ella, Deanna Durbin, etc, etc. any day. Disney has just used the same ole cookie cutter song recycled again. (Though I did love the lyrics to this song.) I loved hearing the German too. I understand ein bisschen.

And Ellen, amen to you too. The messages we give young girls…GAH!!! Disney is notorious for their double standards when it comes to creating ersatz heroines (with 13" waists and a 36" bust)….who need their prince to still rescue them.

Ellen likes this.
  13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Old Disney movies had good fantasy, but I dislike the more modern ones with fantasy and values that are not good.
    Dumbo and Bambi did the work involved in making them strong and well. They didn't rely on Hollywood miracles.

Disney television is full of Valley Girls living a dream life of fun and possessions. Walt Disney had it right, but
    I think his people have lost their way.

14. Richsimm22

Id have to agree with your last comment there. They have lost their way abit. My 2 year old watches quite alot of them. I have to say even tho im a bloke that Beauty and the beast is my all time favourite.

North Star likes this.
  15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Beauty and the Beast was good, but I still miss the children's classics of early Disney and the
    wonderful hand-drawn animation before computer art.

There are great DVDs of old and new children's picture books from Scholastic. A lot of them.
    I don't know if they can be rented from Netflix, but I will check on that.
    Local libraries probably have them. Great for kids because they can be read to them and
    kids can learn to read from them.

16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Nope, Netflix only has Scholastic Tall Tales, which are good but not what I meant.

I meant Scholastic's Storybook Classics.
    Like "The Mouse and the Motorcycle," "Come on, Rain," "The Ugly Ducking," "The Little Match Girl,"
    "The Emperor's New Clothes," "I Love You Like Crazy Cakes," "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?"
    "Pinocchio," "Thumbelina," "Sleeping Beauty," "Cinderella."

They're picture books put onto DVDs.

I think you can find the DVDs at amazon.com. I'll look for that.

I think this series from Scholastic is great and I know kids and parents who love them.

17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Yes, amazon.com has them at Scholastic Storybook Classics on DVD.
    They have boxed sets that contain several discs each with several books in them.

Just a suggestion, but I do know that kids love them and so do parents and teachers.

18. Richsimm22

Yeah Walt cant beat some of the old classics. My 2 year old daughter loves Cinderella, Snow White and Jungle Book. Shes also into Chitty chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins and loves Annie and sings along to "the sun will come out tomorrow."
    Something a bit more innocent about the older ones.

19. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Your daughter is watching some of the best ones. I love the original animated Jungle Book and also the live action with Sabu.
    She might also like HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN and GULLIVER'S TRAVELS, both animated films from the early 1940s, on dvd now.

20. Richsimm22

I wonder if she has recovered when frozen 2 comes out lol