1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Disheartening

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by kristin_sholl, May 16, 2013.

1. kristin_sholl

kristin_sholl New Member

I think the most disheartening thing I've heard from a medical professional is also, in an odd way, the most hopeful and reassuring. The day after I read Sarno's book (last week), my physical therapist told me that although she could send me to an orthopedic surgeon and begin steroid shots for my leg pain (assumed to be the result of a recent back/disc injury), I only had about a 5-10% chance of that solving my problem. She couldn't quite put her finger on what my issue is...it looks like a bit of a disc injury, but it could also be an issue with my fascia, muscle, or pelvic bone cartilage. I told her about Sarno's book, and she said she agrees with his diagnosis 100% and that I'm on the right track by thinking psychologically. She only wishes more people would be open to this idea.

I felt more confident about the TMS diagnosis when she couldn't accurately diagnose me structurally, but I was disheartened that what I had previously seen as a guaranteed fix really wasn't. I just want the pain to end now, and patience isn't my strong suit:)

gailnyc likes this.
  2. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Hi kristin_sholl - Before discovering Dr Sarno I had steroid injections four times (one being a nerve block). Each time I had high expectations. None of them worked out, but of course if what we have is TMS, it stands to reason that they wouldn't. I believe in my case, it may have worked as a placebo had my pain consultant not said to me 10 minutes before giving the 1st one "I don't expect this will work". Well guess what, it didn't ! You seem to be on the right track for recovery - hope your drive goes well.