1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Disheartening thing a doctor has told you?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Buckeye, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye Peer Supporter

The ponder question was: What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms?

In a session with a psychologist, I asked "Do you think any of this will do any good?"
    His response was: "I don't know."

But, the most disheartening was any time that I asked anything to the effect of "Do you think I can get back to any where near where I was before?" They always blew off the question and never, not once, offered any opinion. If a trained professional can see no way back to where I was before my health plummeted, then how am I supposed to? Worse, if they don't care, then why am I even spending time and energy with them?

They all seemed to be ticking off some cosmic checklist hoping that I'd come 'right' when we finally hit the appropriate check box. None of them seemed to be interested in ME as a person. Simply sort out symptoms... add meds for symptoms... add meds to counter act ill effects of meds added earlier...

Worse, I feared stopping meds with ill effects because then they might tag me in their cosmic log as a non-compliant. So, I actually faked taking meds. The US health care system kind of sucks. If I research and say I would like to try this for a month to see if it has an effect (not a pain med!), I'm a drug seeker. If I say I want to stop xyz med because it's destroying my stomach, they say no "give it time" and take abc med to make my stomach more happy to be destroyed.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The most disheartening thing a doctor ever told me was that it looked like I had a cancerous growth on my neck
    and he insisted on cutting it out. I insisted on first having a culture taken and after almost pleading with he agreed.
    It turned out to be nothing more than a tiny water pimple that went away by itself.

I've been cautious about doctors ever since.