1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Disheartening news never received

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by yvettemariabetancourt, Apr 4, 2014.

1. yvettemariabetancourt

yvettemariabetancourt Peer Supporter

Interestingly enough, no Dr. has told me any negative news or prognosis. Both Spine Doctors felt I would resume all my beloved activities in due course. I suggested that I quit skiing, and my Spine Dr. said "no need to rush into that decision. You will be able to ski again, just not this weekend. "

Looking back, a lot of the negative feedback has come from myself and my mother, who is very loving but also very intimidated by all things active and athletic since she and my grandmother suffer from sever Arthritis. She has taught me a lot about pacing myself, but has never really encouraged my outdoor or athletic pursuits. She has created a lot of fear inside of me, though I know with 100% certainty she only did not want to see me suffering. I would say it is reasonable response from a parent that if your child, albeit 45 is suffering and crying in pain, you prefer the conservative life.

I have created a huge cloud of fear above me myself. I plan to get rid of it.

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

What a powerful post! I can relate to the tug of war between sensible pacing and the desire to stretch myself in healthy ways. I really enjoy swimming, yoga, hiking, and other healthy pursuits, but like most people with chronic issues, I struggle with how far to push.
    I love your attitude! It's just what I needed to hear tonight!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yvedtte, your loved ones mean well, as you know, but don't let them keep you from the activities you enjoy.
    Do them in moderation and even if pain comes, Steve Ozanich says keep doing them and don't think of any pain.
    The more you take your mind off your pain, the faster it will go away.

Tell fear to go away and not come back. You don't need it. You don't want it.
    Tell yourself you have nothing to fear.