1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Disheartening Doctors...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by valerie, Apr 26, 2013.

1. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

Over the last six or seven months as my primary care doctor has tried to help me navigate my symptoms, at least once or twice that she has said that they may turn out to be permanent, although she thinks that is unlikely. This has stuck with me that I may be permanently stuck with an aching hip, back and leg and never able to do the things I love anymore, cycling, hiking, sitting and watching a movie, without pain. I'm 43 and I'm definitely not ready to give all that up!

2. EricMd

EricMd Peer Supporter

I think your doctor is probably using the conventional approach to improving your symptoms and after about 6 months it becomes more likely that the condition may become "chronic". It is important that your doctor evalaute you for any serious problems before preceeding with treating TMS. Reading Dr. Sarnos books was helpful to me and the structured education program really helped me. I am becoming the person I was meant to be and my pain is diminishing. At the end of the day today I realized I had not had any pain today. I had some slight pain after I focused on the fact that I had no pain. It is funny how that works. The structures education program will get you doing the things you love to do. Welcome to the journey.

3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Way to go Eric!!! That is great news, I'm sooo happy for you!

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

Congrats Eric. How very exciting for you.

Valerie, you are not permanently stuck. You have found the place to help you get unstuck. You can do this.

5. Lori

Lori Well known member

Valerie, don't give up. I was told many years ago that my tailbone would never heal. The doctor was wrong! I have no tailbone pain anymore after learning about Dr. Sarno and taking his program seriously = doing the work.

6. Aaron

Aaron New Member

You can't let traditional physicians discourage you. I've been through countless doctors over the last 3 years. Some throw their hands up with frustration and simply give up while others want to cut, burn and medicate the symptoms away. Finding TMS and this support group gave me a renewed hope. All this information and support is highly encouraging. I'm just beginning the TMS program myself and am learning to accept that my pain is caused by repressed emotion. That emotion can be daily stresses or with me, it seems to be the stress of being in pain. The stress from doctors telling me that I just have to live with it. Luckily I found a local medical doctor (Dr. Nicholas Palermo in CT) who practices his own therapy focusing on the mindbody connection. With help from Dr.Palermo, Dr. Sarno's books and this support group... I'm finally accepting that everyone, including you and I, has control over their own mind. Over their body. Over their pain. It's freeing once you truly accept it. Good luck and stick with it.

gailnyc and valerie like this.
  7. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

good luck Aaron, so far so good - I'm about a week in and feeling better myself.