1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Disheartening Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dcl1597, Jan 26, 2016.

1. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Hello all! I feel like posting pretty regularly here is going to keep me accountable for really staying up to date with this program, so here goes my day 4 post:

What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind?

I don’t think there’s one specific thing that was the most disheartening from my doctors- generally the diagnosis of IBS was a bit of a let down. Being told that it might never go away, that it can only be treated with very careful and limiting diets, and some other basic forms of regulation, is not encouraging. It’s basically a guessing game with IBS, trying to find things that work for you. This was not encouraging to me at all because I really wanted a solution that would solve my woes, not just different coping mechanisms that would maybe alleviate the situation. Truly being told that it can be a lifelong problem was disheartening. I’m only 18, I have my whole life to live, and I don’t want these debilitating health problems to be following me forever. I think about this frequently as I reflect on the past year and my struggle with feeling poorly constantly, and how I can’t imagine myself like this for the unforeseeable future. That’s when I turned to TMS and I’m really hoping it helps pull me through!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, dc. That doctor ought to be disbarred for giving you such a negative prognosis about your IBS. I believe your have IBS because of some emotional stresses. The SEProgram will help you to discover what those are. Or it may just be a perfectionist personality. Maybe journal about whether you are a perfectionist and want things to be perfect all the time, including your relationships with others. Your IBS is a common symptom of TBS. You will cure yourself and then tell that doctor he was all wet.

3. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

Hey dcl,
    I know it's a little bit besides the point, but be careful not to catastrophize and/or focus on body sensations. That'll only amplify them, and get you depressed.

4. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

I would definitely work on letting go of the idea of the words "lifelong problem." Easier said than done though, I know. Stop saying those words right away, to yourself and out loud. Cling to the word "might" that you used in your own post. I'm learning how to do it myself. Maybe say, "There is no way this can be a lifelong problem, that's crazy!" Good luck, dcl.

5. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I definitely think I'm a people-pleaser which goes with the typical personality traits identified by Dr. Sarno. Gonna keep up with the program and try to maintain an optimistic attitude!