1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Discouragingly Persistent Foot Pain - Insights, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Northwood, Jun 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

Hey, All,

I've been away from the forum for a while and just posted a success story in that section. Nice to have been able to successfully apply the wisdom of mindbody theory to recovering from years of back pain. My thanks again to everyone who helped me.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling with my right foot. Symptoms started about ten years ago. They've been rather persistent: a burning and cramping in the area around the big & second toe and ball of the foot. Over the yars, I had treated the symptoms as a structural problem: two surgeries, injections, orthotics, inserts, special shoes, acupuncture, massage, etc. None of that has worked. The symptoms make walking, biking, and hiking--things I love to do--really uncomfortable. I find myself getting depressed and caught up in fear and worry.

Over the years, the symptoms have flared and receded seemingly on their own. I haven't really been able to find a psychological cause. Interestingly, I went on a two-week desert hike with my son last year and did not have significant symptoms. A few months after I returned from that trip, after massaging my foot with a massage ball, the symptoms returned, and I've been dealing with them ever since (about eight months). I want to treat this as TMS. I hope it IS a mindbody problem and not some form of intractable structural pain because a nerve is damaged (that's my fear).

I'm looking for advice from anyone on how best to proceed, especially if you've dealt with burning/unpleasant nerve tingling and been able to work through it. As mentioned, I've had success recovering from back symptoms; regarding my foot, in some ways I'm back to TMS 101. Well, nothing like reengaging Beginner's Mind. Wide open to hear anyone's two cents on this. Thanks!

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Northwood
    How did you heal your back pain? If the Dr’s can’t find anything wrong with your foot now, then it’s probably tms. Which means it’s equivalent to your back pain.. I’d treat it the same and add that tms work may need to be a constant in your life. If small stresses build up, and/or personality traits, thought habits tend to create internal stress, then ongoing tms practices or awarenesses can help. That doesn’t mean daily, it just means using them when you need them, remember to use them. The free Structural Education Program is a great too for both learning and refreshing.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Innybeany

Innybeany New Member

How did you heal your back pain? If the Dr’s can’t find anything wrong with your foot now, then it’s probably tms. Which means it’s equivalent to your back pain.. I’d treat it the same and add that tms work may need to be a constant in your life. If small stresses build up, and/or personality traits, thought habits tend to create internal stress, then ongoing tms practices or awarenesses can help. That doesn’t mean daily, it just means using them when you need them, remember to use them. The free Structural Education Program is a great too for both learning and refreshing.[/QUOTE]
    Hello Cactus flower
    Can you help.me. horrible pain over top of right foot and radiates under the foot and really painful when I tread on uneven ground. Do not recall any injury and am rooting out all possible Sarno pressures. Do not believe it to be structural. 5 weeks now. Pain can vary all over foot..

4. Innybeany

Innybeany New Member

Hello Cactus flower
    Can you help.me. horrible pain over top of right foot and radiates under the foot and really painful when I tread on uneven ground. Do not recall any injury and am rooting out all possible Sarno pressures. Do not believe it to be structural. 5 weeks now. Pain can vary all over foot..[/QUOTE]
    Also....forgot to mention it can swell on top of foot and it aches

Hello Cactus flower
    Can you help.me. horrible pain over top of right foot and radiates under the foot and really painful when I tread on uneven ground. Do not recall any injury and am rooting out all possible Sarno pressures. Do not believe it to be structural. 5 weeks now. Pain can vary all over foot..[/QUOTE]

5. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@Innybeany
    Hello
    I don’t fully understand your message “possible Sarno pressures”. Is this what Sarno means by “think psychological?”
    Have you read a book by Dr. Sarno?
    That is the best place to start.
    Also, get your foot checked out by your Dr. Make sure it’s not something structural.