1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Discouraging Words from Doctors

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Laudisco, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

I've had mixed reports from doctors about my condition, as some doctors seem very confident that I will get better and recover. Others seem a bit more pessimistic, for example the rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia said that there is no cure. Having said that, he prescribed swimming three days a week - and said I should have about 50% improvement in the next six months.

While I felt that prescription was a bit simplistic, at least he is encouraging me to do more activity - not less! I already know that exercise is helpful for CFS/Fibromyalgia so it confirmed what I've already learned. At the moment I prefer taking the dog for walks every day, but I've been thinking of enrolling in an aqua aerobics class. It might be really tiring for me, but I think it would be more fun and enjoyable than just doing laps in the pool. I'm not a big fan of swimming, to be honest, but I know it's good because it uses so many different muscles.

I added a few items to the TMS list I made when I did the SEP last year, although it's hard to think of many more events I need to work through. I know I still have a lot of anxiety and subconscious anger/rage, so I want to consider a range of methods and avenues to tap into it. I'm keen to record and explore my dreams further, because I've noticed I had three dreams in the last few weeks where I got extremely angry at my parents. I could tell I had a lot of subconscious anger still there, but it's sometimes hard to access it during the day time!

The subconscious mind is so amazing and I want to learn more about it. I'm fascinated by psychology anyway, so I'm keen to learn and explore further. :)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Doctors should never tell patients they will never heal. How would they like to be told that?

But advising you to swim more is good advice. And definitely walk your dog. I love doing that with my darling Annie.
    It's often the best part of my day. But when I see people walking with their dog while on any hand-held electronic device, I cringe.
    They're not connecting with their dog that way, or with nature, and certainly not with themselves.

You might consider taking a night class in psychology, not for college credit but just for general interes.

Laudisco likes this.
  3. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks Walt! I appreciate you sharing - I actually decided to book an adult education class in visual arts today, because I love painting. :)