1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Disc bulge or Tms?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Benny562562, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Benny562562

Benny562562 Peer Supporter

I'm confused. I just got an email sent to me from Tms doctor Schecter. He diagnosed me Monday with Tms and after the mri report he got today he sent me this. I thought disc bulges don't cause pain? Any thoughts on this fellow tmsers? i have pain in that area,but no leg or foot pain like some suggest it affects. Here's the email

Attached Files:

2. Benny562562

Kalo.. I seen Dr Schecter on the recommendation of thee Dr John Sarno.He actually replied to my email and recomended him. Imma take your advice and relax. Thank you for the respone

3. TalkDoc

TalkDoc New Member

I was told many bulging discs were responsible for my symptoms (which I had for YEARS) and it turned out to be ALL TMS!! Something like half the population has bulging or herniated (much worse) discs and most are walking around with no troubles at all...

4. Benny562562

TalkDoc I read Healing back and have done my research regarding Tms. Im just a little confused as why he would want to see Mri for a disc bulge? Maybe he just wants to see if theres nothing more serious going on?

5. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Peer Supporter

I healed from TMS with a bulging disc. I do all normal things. Do you think MRI might be done because of liability issues?

IndiMarshall, TalkDoc and Benny562562 like this.
  6. TalkDoc

TalkDoc New Member

i agree with wonder woman. The MD has a license to protect and TMS diagnosis is not acknowledged by mainstream medicine yet soooo that opens up significant liability issues if you were to make your "injury" worse after an MD attributed your pain to TMS and not a physiological substrate. I know that Dr. Schecter is a TMS doctor as well but it just shows you the problem in medicine today (not recognizing mind-body disorders...) Lets not forget that business in medicine would slow down dramatically if MDs reached a consensus and the public were aware of TMS in its entirety. Talk about a double edged sword....

Benny562562 likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Maybe I'm confused, didn't YOU say that you requested the MRI to be SURE it wasn't anything structural? It sounds like the doc said it was TMS up until you wanted the MRI, that he didn't feel was necessary until you requested it--did I get that wrong?

8. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

Benny , You got some wonderful replies here..

I will continue from where we left in the pm's this morning..

For the situation your are in .. you might think this is structural.. it will take couple of months for your to forget that MRI Nonsense.. .
    First start taking painkillers.. and start working out. bend forward.. lift your leg ..walk.. do whatever is comfortable for you for next 4-6 weeks. Go slow with TMS concepts.. My neurologist told me your muscles are tight and your pain in the mind.. No doc konws abt TMS in this part of the world yet he spoke like a TMS Doc and my pain was debilitating... but they knw Motion is lotion..

I couldn't even sit , stand , sleep in one position.. when I met my neurologist couple of months ago..

In my opinion.. you should do all the physical activity to better yourself to 30-40% then start your TMS journey seriously.. Its been nearly 2 months since then.. I am now able to go out.. indulge in fun activities.. I do have my real bad days even now but no longer I am confined to my bedroom. For 6 months I was in bed. I am where I am now iwth my physical activity and TMS concepts I learned here not even from Healing back pain.. ..
    May be you are too early to do SEP as you need more physical activity before applying TMS concepts

I am sure you will be different person in 6 months time.. For the sitution you are in even if you apply all the TMS concepts in the world .. it might not show immediate results. and u may be dejected at your progress..& doubt TMS theory
    In next couple of months you might fail 100's of times.. and it is expected .. It is part of TMS journey..
    Keep moving..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Benny. IndiMarshall gives you excellent advice. Follow it and you will also heal. Be as active as you can, and do it in small steps if you feel pain.
    I love "motion is lotion." A great concept.

Yes, do forget the MRI and concentrate on your pain being emotional, not structural. Dr. Sarno says it's okay to take pain-killers, so long as you keep believing the pain is emotional, from TMS. You are progressing wonderfully, from having been bedridden to being more physically active.

Benny562562 likes this.
  10. Benny562562

Tennis Tom he said the X-ray wasn't clear and that's why i asked him if a mri would be good and he agreed. He's the doctor,not me. I'm not sure what exactly he's looking for after he got the report. Like talkdoc said,maybe he's covering his butt? I guess it's a 2-3 mm disc bulge in l5-s1 area that he's gonna look over

11. IndiMarshall

If you are still in traditional back pain support groups you should remove yourself from there

Don't put each of your leg on two different moving boats ..

It won't lead you anywhere

12. Benny562562

Indimarshall just learns about Tms about 5 weeks ago. Still learning the whole concept of it. Not exactly sure why the dr wanted to see further imaging,but im convinced with my Tms diagnosis 100%.I'm going to start the sep and protocol. I been re reading healing back pain and watching the lecture video. Thank u all for the support,much appreciated

13. IndiMarshall

Does this mean you are still on those groups ? :)

Benny562562 likes this.
  14. Benny562562

I was never in a back pain support group. Only forum or group I belong to is Tms wiki :)

IndiMarshall likes this.
  15. IndiMarshall

Cool :)/

16. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

When people first find out about tms or other mind body theory they always have doubts. Mind body medical experts are minority group within the medical community in the West. Mind body medicine is so "new", so fragmented, so Eastern, to some people it even so "Quack". It will take time and the dedication of people like Forest to spread the words.
    After I got rid of my mind body illnesses, I learn as much as I can about mind body. I try to help the people in my small community of Vietnamese American. Lots of them suffered from trauma due to war, tortured, lost, separation... and that often leads to tms/anxiety. It was a challenge to introduce them to a whole new concept of treating their illnesses. How the hell can you help me get rid of my back pain without medicine or surgery? My doctors told me fibromyalgia and CFS have no cure, how can you help me. There are lots of résistance and disbelieve. Even we offer our help for free, people are still suspicious and always trying to find out if there is a catch.
    Some people hear us, believe us, and get well. Some will take months and need lots of support and only commit after seeing some positive results. Some will take years and will went through all these conventional medical treatments. They won't commit to the mind body way until they exhaust all the conventional way. And a few will never believe in mind body medicine. They will go on and suffer for the rest of their life.
    We need more people like Forest. There are so much suffering in this world needlessly.

IndiMarshall and Benny562562 like this.