1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Difficulty dealing with mainstream medical practice

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MindBodyPT, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi all,

I've been having a rough couple of weeks dealing with all the different people who come through my clinic being told absolutely terrible advice! It's really gnawing at me and making me feel powerless to change the system...I've been getting a lot of clients seen by other PTs and orthopedic doctors being told things such as:

-You might need more surgeries
    -The pain will always be there
    -Have you considered injections?
    -You need to constantly use your core muscles to avoid back pain
    -You need to lose weight to control your back pain

And the list goes on ad-nauseum, it is so frustrating. I feel that many people are un-reachable with even basic concepts of TMS...i've had a couple of successes but the VAST majority of people are not open. I think its the clinic I work at, everyone has already been to orthopedists and most people aren't terribly open minded about anything unconventional.

Sometimes I feel like I need a new job or to open my own practice...I always prefer working with people who've had more serious injuries because I know "traditional" PT works for people who need to learn to walk and do other skills (I specialize in treating people with brain injury and stroke) but have been getting more TMS cases recently.

Any words of wisdom on dealing with working within mainstream medical practice? Is it a lost cause?

Homestead Hermit likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

If it makes you feel any better, Dr. Sarno had the same problem at NYU Rusk. He was pretty much considered a nutter by his fellow white-coats and shunned. He carefully evaluated his patients, selecting those who he thought were amenable to his psychosomatic/TMS approach into his program. Those who he felt would not buy in, needing their TMS pain for protection, he did not take on to save their time and money.

MindBodyPT likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

I commend you for your courage to stand up. It's amazes me how many people will believe a lie when the truth is getting served on a silver platter right in front of them, lol. There is also a collective unconscious mindset that we are broken people and will have to deal with this stuff for the rest of your life. They also put all there belief in these doctors who are taught wrong. I'm not against doctor by any means but they are not looking at the bigger picture of people's lives. A lot of the medical field is a fear based system, what if I get this or that disease/sickness.

It's just the way humans are, many are cynical by nature. Also they don't want to go tms route because it is a defense mechanism that is protecting them. It also intrigues me how many people would not try tms, it's giving you a great hope to change for the better at little cost. Some people like suffering and never learn from it.

At least you are offering it to people. Go for your own practice if your led to. Those people who have the greatest hope, will have the greatest influence. Goodluck with what you decide to do, I'm rooting for ya.

Ryan