1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Difficult childhood and recovery

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MIsty152, Jan 7, 2020.

1. MIsty152

MIsty152 Peer Supporter

Can you recover from TMS even if you had a really difficult childhood (verbally abusive, intimidating brother, father with mental ilness)? I am sure that I have TMS (pelvic problems), but this gives me doubt about my possible recovery. I am seeing a therapist now to finally accept and forgive the past, I have alot to work through. Besides dealing with my personality and daily stresses.

Could somebody comfort me in some way?

Thanks, Misty

2. Hayley

Hayley Peer Supporter

Hi Misty,

I truly believe that you can heal from pelvic problems which are due to TMS. There’s no doubt that moving on from a difficult childhood can be difficult though. I have found forgiveness very challenging and was only able to forgive when I started to forgive purely for my own benefit. When I realised that holding a grudge against someone was only hurting me and could be stalling my recovery I started to let go of so much. I would say in my mind or write down - “ What you did was wrong but because I care about myself I forgive you. I am no longer willing to carry the burden of non forgiveness and your wrongdoings, I do this purely for my own benefit so that I can heal”. Forgiving isn’t letting someone of the hook and you don’t forget what they did but choosing to let go for your own benefit can feel very empowering. A TMS therapist that I saw recommended the Fred Luskin book - Forgive for Good - and I found it very helpful.

Hayley

plum likes this.