1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

different leg lengths

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

i have been told that my back pain is due to different length legs. someone reminded me about this the other day. this is starting to give me some doubt about Tms. therefore i would be grateful for some reassurance and would love to hear if there is anyone else who has been told that back pain is due 2 different leg lengths that has recovered using the t m s approach? thank you very much

2. Mala

Mala Well known member

Most ppl who go to physios r told that it is a cause of the pain. This is absolutely not true. Most humans have a slight difference, in fact it's hard to find someone who has exactly the same lengths. Our faces & eyes are not always symmetrical but that does not cause pain.

There there r many ppl who have leg length discrepancies , (my husband is one of them) but have no pain. The same with shoulders. Drs & physios will have u believe that a difference in shoulder height will cause pain too but if u look carefully around u, u will find most ppl have one side higher than the other. Not all have pain.

Hope this helps.

Mala

Colly and ellie freegan like this.
  3. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

My husband was told he had different leg lengths that were causing him lower back pain. When he learnt about TMS healing, he threw out the prescribed shoe heel block, and in due course, became pain free. It never ceases to amaze me what some doctors tell patients.

ellie freegan likes this.
  4. Mala

Mala Well known member

Oh & just to add, I personally know 2 ppl who have leg length discrepencies but no pain whasoever.

One friend is my age & she was born with a difference of 1 inch. She has an an ever so slight limp but is very active & even does a lot of horse riding.

My other friend is 65 & had polio as a kid. She walks with a major limp & her pelvis is all out of whack but again she has no pain.

So the idea that a few millimetres could cause such huge anounts of pain is one I find hard to reconcile to.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  5. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

I have been told this too! and then had my leg worked on to resolve it....it is really minimal.
    the evidence based for misalignment being a cause of pain is NON existent. trust me I have been through all that, measuring my posture week by week etc

6. IrishSceptic

I would recommend you read this excellent post. totally destroys the structuralist/misalignment paradigm and a veritable goldmine of references on the subject. there is no evidence for poor core strength as a causative factor either, it is assumed because biomechanically it makes sense.

https://www.painscience.com/articles/structuralism.php

Top physios are now recognising this very fact . Professor Peter O'Sullivan is recognising the emotional aspect of chronic pain but I dont think embraces Sarno or is even aware of him

Colly likes this.
  7. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ellie, yep many of us have been there... I too was told the different leg length cause for my back pain - it was nonsense. I've since recovered from severe back pain by using TMS healing techniques.

Hey Irish, Peter was my physio years ago - before he had discovered and embraced the emotional connection with pain. I've since emailed him about Sarno so while he's no ambassador for Sarno, he certainly gets it. It's funny, because he treated me before either of us knew the connection, yet we both had an instinct, given the discussions we had.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  8. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

A rebuttal to the "one leg too short" as the cause of back/knee/hip pain theory is that if you were born that way and have always had one leg shorter than the other, why in the world did your pain start right now or last week or last year or whenever? It's been my experience that the mysterious pain usually started a while after some traumatic event in a person's life like a death in the family, death of a spouse or sibling, loss of income, repossession of home etc. etc. etc. the list goes on an on. The blame it on anatomy theory breaks down if you look at it closely.

9. IrishSceptic

Nice one Colly, his hair is ridiculous but he seems to have leaned toward the mind as a generator of pain without fully understanding the mechanisms at play. That highlights the extent of his knowledge&dedication to his field because he has come round to accept that structural/alignment issues take a backseat with chronic low back pain. It would be easy to come up with other all sorts of explanations.
    For those interested in his work look him up on youtube and he talks through cases with the client present and how they reversed their pain significantly by dialling down the FEAR, there are some great cases which many here could identify with.
    I considered becoming a Physio once when I was mad into my GAA/football and understand how difficult it must be to repudiate it that knowledge in favour of the new.
    constantly I remind my friends/relatives who are Physios that CORE stability is good but nothing to do with backpain. when I first began to develop it I was in the shape of my life and able to hold the plank for 5 minutes setting a record within my age range.

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Years ago my chiropractor said one of my legs was longer than the other. He had me take his treatments for years
    and I doubt now any were necessary. Most people don't have legs the same length. It's not important.
    It does not cause pain.