1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Diet/Food Triggers

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by readytoheal, Aug 26, 2016.

1. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

This is something I continually struggle with-diet/ food triggers. I find it interesting that in the interstitial cystitis world the "off limits" foods include wine, coffee, chocolate, strawberries..typically food associated with pleasure. Sure you could say, well they are all acidic but I often wonder if there isn't something more to it. Why does tms seem to take from us the things we love and enjoy most? Is it also a coincidence that sex is a trigger for me too? I wonder if there isn't something psychological to all of this. Any thoughts/insight?

2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Ah, the guilt that resides in a lot of us. You have incredible insight, its that some of us don't feel like we deserve pleasure. So when we do encounter pleasure superego/inner critic tells us we can't do that its bad. The mind continues to stay divided. The feeling that we are not good enough. We long for connection the most.

Ryan

Ellen and readytoheal like this.
  3. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

How does one even begin to "un-divide" the mind? I tell myself that these things are good and safe, but on some level maybe I don't believe it. What can you do to integrate the parts of the mind that seem to be at odds with itself?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Don't try to control all your thoughts, its always good to focus on the good ones. Its not that you don't believe it, it goes on in the subconscious or unconscious. Its out of your awareness, that's why Sarno said just know repressed emotions exists.

Keep flooding yourself with hope and positive thoughts. Even when the bad ones come just let them go.

Ryan