1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Did you continue getting supportive treatment right away after you accepted your TMS diagnosis

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Celayne, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

As someone who has bounced around to different health care providers (both standard medical and alternative) in search of feeling better, I have at times over-used them.

I was used to going to a chiropractor pretty regularly; I moved to another state so couldn't see him any more. He was great and made gentle adjustments (which probably were unnecessary, but he also used a massager on me which felt great). After I moved, I went to a local chiro because I really hurt my back while moving. The first treatment helped, the second was so-so. He wanted me to keep coming back, and I was getting worse and worse. He said I shouldn't be in pain anymore. Found a different one who advertised that their adjustments were 'gentle'. No, they weren't. They also wanted me there twice a week. Hate to sound sour about the profession but it seems most just want you to come and charge you $65 for a 15 minute visit. Ka-ching. So stopped chiropractors all together. I did find another one who offers laser therapy, which my old chiro. used and it was effective in relaxing trigger points temporarily.

I concluded that what I liked about the old chiro's laser was that I felt like I was getting cared for, because at the new place they stick you in a room, point the laser to your trouble spot and leave you there for 10 minutes. This experience actually made my pain much worse. I had bought a package of 5 treatments and only did three before I decided to just let the rest go.

Also the laser therapy place had me talk to a chiropractor before I could have the laser treatments. He tried really really hard to convince me that my chronic pain was a chiropractic problem. Of course. I was proud of myself for fending him off.

I self-diagnosed my TMS after stopping chiropractic but before the latest laser therapies. Although I've read in Dr. Sarno's book (MindBody Prescription) and The Great Pain Deception that TMSers should give up their treatments, I signed up for the laser just because I thought it would help with pain relief, not to essentially change anything.

Since the lasers made my pain worse, I think it was probably because I wasn't happy with their methods and/or part of me knew it wasn't helpful to be getting them anyway and should be concentrating on TMS recovery.

Thoughts?

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I agree with your thoughts. The conflict between fully accepting your tms and holding onto some structural treatment for relief could be what is causing your increased symptoms. I suggest a change of focus in your life. Away from the pain and onto life goals/fun things to do.

Ines likes this.
  3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with this...I really think that when I accepted TMS 100% and stopped believing any PT stuff could fix it, I was best able to heal. You really have to accept it wholeheartedly, which is a difficult task. I also notice that some of my clients who have TMS but aren't really ready to accept it leave my PT sessions feeling much better, even if we just did some gentle exercise or other treatment, because they are able to relax for a little while :) Conversely if you had a negative experience with a treatment it could increase your pain.

4. Celayne

I'm glad you said that. I've really been struggling with the pain and doubts have been creeping in, like 'what if it isn't really TMS', although I really do believe that I have TMS. This too shall pass.

birdsetfree likes this.
  5. Celayne

Relaxing for a little while is huge and I think why I have chased after treatments for so long. I feel like I've accepted the TMS mostly, but still have little doubts that creep in. I'll get past it.

birdsetfree likes this.