1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

did i went against tms believes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Sep 3, 2019.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

so today on reddit i saw someone saying (if i remember correctly) that he switched from conventional deadlifting to sumo deadlifting + barbell bent over rows.

if i remember correctly, i asked why he would do barbell bent over rows if that would work the lower back much more than conventional deadlift (i also said something like “if someone could correct me if im wrong that would be ok”)?

what i was trying to say is, why would he switch from conventional deadlift to sumo + barbell bent over rows. the sumo + barbell bent over rows would work the lower back.

the guy mentioned he haves “congenital pars defect on lumbar l5-s1.

i didn’t mentioned anything about tms, but to me it was weird replacing conventional deadlift with sumo deadlift + barbell bent over rows (again, if i remember correctly i asked if someone could confirm what i said) since both of them works the lower back hard.

i also asked if barbell bent over rows puts more stress than conventional deadlift.

did i went against tms believe for asking these kinda of questions? is commenting on forums about these things against tms believes?

sorry for my english

thanks a lot for replying!

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

No you didn't "go against" anything. I know nothing about weightlifting but you were asking a general questions about what puts less strain on the back. You are overthinking everything way too much. That's what jumping out at me from your post. You are overanalyzing and overthinking and worrying. Just do what you enjoy and what feels comfortable. If something is painful, stop and don't do it. It's just common sense. Even people who do not suffer from TMS get tired and have pain and need breaks. You can ask anything you want on the forums. Dr. Sarno specifically lists all the things you must discontinue because they reinforce TMS (chiropractors, pain pills, special pillows etc... stuff lke that...)

plum likes this.
  3. stevow7

miffybunny likes this.
  4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

You're welcome! Hope it helped!

5. stevow7

6. Miss Metta

Miss Metta Peer Supporter

I do weightlifting and I do know this: it's really common to use bad form and to recruit muscles that are not meant to do the job during a lift. I'm talking here about weightlifting which is designed to use and recruit certain muscle groups to achieve a particular goal. If you're lifting a sack of potatos, then it doesn't matter what muscles you use so long as you get the job done! So with your example, he may be using poor technique which is more common than a lot of people realise. Sometimes a very tiny shift in stance, posture or pose can radically change how a particular exercise operates. Sumos are going to recruit a lot more glutes and if you look at Wenning Strength on YT (I don't have the actual video at hand) he advises learning Sumo DL's before regular DL's to get technique right. Which one would work his lower back more would depend entirely upon his technique, even if one is 'supposed' to hit a particular muscle group more than another. It's very easy to look like you are lifting correctly but actually not be doing so. To the average onlooker, a lifter can look like they're doing everything right, but a strength coach, not a PT, can spot subtle errors in what you're doing wrong in most cases. So it's not the exercises themselves necessarily but how he is doing them. So if he mentions having a lower back issue but switches to another exercise that might also hit lower back, he's probably making minor adjustments in technique that allows him to avoid working his lower back hard. But his "issue" is still TMS. Does this help?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019