1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

did anyone break through after long time?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Apr 7, 2016.

1. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

no i cannot see that eitber! but i ask myself : what if it does not go away? is it possible to be 'freaked out ' and paralysed for life ? maybe that's the point and key : to stop being paralyzed and to stop freaking out! maybe then: pain will stop too..
    maybe that is the tms road ?

tgirl likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

You're doing this back-wards, first you get a DX from a TMS physician, if you're lucky enough to have one near enough to examine you. Once you are cleared of anything serious like "cancer, infection or fracture", then you get the therapy if you didn't believe the TMS doctor's DX that's there is nothing you need to be treated for TMS or otherwise. I'm living proof that TMS physicians do NOT always say it's TMS, they would be quacks if they did and the mal-practice lawsuits stemming from their mis-DX's would drive them out of business. I was DX'ed by two TMS docs as having arthritis and NOT TMS, told to "Get a THR sooner then later,"--that's been about fifteen years ago.

Have you discussed your lack of progress with your therapist? What does s/he say? Or-- it may be time to get a new therapist if this ones not "resonating". First things first, get an objective DX from a TMS trained physician. BTW, TMS is usually a very small portion of a TMS doc's practice, most sufferers don't want to hear any of it's all in my head stuff. TMS savvy physicians would go broke if they only dealt with TMS, they practice allopathicly mostly.

To reply to your question has anyone had TMS for years, YES, SteveO for one, more then twenty years. Have you read Steve's book?--it's a "GREAT" one. Actually, TMS is not something you get "cured" of in the common sense of the word--it's part of the human condition. It's a PROTECTIVE psychological defense mechanism that may be handy at times in one's life. You may get "cured" of one symp but due to the symptom imperative, if the underlying emotional conditions aren't addressed, the sub-c gremlin will find another physical or affective site for a distraction.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    eskimoeskimo likes this.
  3. karinabrown

ouch Tennis Tom : that is a scary truth i guess : not to be able to get cured : but would be facing symptoms traveling all the time
    that 's exactly what scared me : like it is a struggle forever and ever
    sometime one can think : why bother?:mad:maybe move forward with the work ..till my mind will find a symptom that is more
    liveable to me..so i can stop working at it ?

sory : i know you where not talking to me : but i found your answer very true (plus scarry..but that is what the truth can be;))

karina

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Sorry Karina, didn't mean to scare you, quite the opposite. TMS theory should be enlightening and uplifting, discovering that you hold the majority of the cards to your health and need not be dependent on shamans and Walgreens. It's not about a lot of work, it's about accepting the Good Doctor's TMS theory--changing one's mind-set--it's as simple as that. Dr. Sarno says when you feel TMS pain, shift your thinking to the psyhcological/emotional--what's bugging you necessitating the physical symptom for a distraction?--deal with the situation head-on; the body will follow.

Cheers,
    tt

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  5. karinabrown

hi Tom,

i do get the theory..the harder part is when you say: deal with it head on'
    if a situation gives me tension : and i am aware of it : but get symptoms anyway?
    like fear : i notice it: i do not let it let me hold back on doing something in : not avoid something : but still the tension gives me pain. its the deal with it head on part : that's left me wondering HOW?

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  6. Tennis Tom

The more you practice it, thinking psychological rather then "it's physical", the better you get at it. Then sleep on it.

Different tension creating situations call for different resolutions. You can tell your boss to f-off, but you may need to get a new job, so you might have to suppress that one. You can get out of a bad relationship, hopefully they won't stalk you, keep the bags packed and the nose of the get away car pointed out. You can accept the situation and that there's nothing you can do about it--astroids colliding with the planet earth. The French are developing early warning devices for volcanic eruptions--lots of people escaped Pompei but others were at the docks waiting in line for boats. Those are a few random ideas, I have to go now and put the laundry in the dryer before someone beats me to it.

tgirl and jrid32 like this.
  7. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

TT ~ el-genius! (great stuff)

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

I believe I've had TMS since childhood, I am 36 now and had only been recovering from TMS since Christmas. I fully believe it is TMS I have had doubts in the past but these doubts are gone.
    I believe the key is connecting with your inner body, your emotions. U need to give yourself some quiet time everyday and feel within yourself, don't think, if thoughts come let them pass but think about your body I usually think within my chest and stomach and within a few minutes I start feeling at ease. U need to practise this daily and it will become easier and feel better. Connect with your emotions.
    I found myself getting quite teary earlier and I'm not one to cry, I am recovering but there is still lots of work to do. I look forward to the day I can write my success story and also read yours.
    God luck on your journey....within

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. Tennis Tom

Thank you, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nighttiphata.

karinabrown and jrid32 like this.
  10. karinabrown

Hi Tom,

I like the idea's you mentioned in terms of dealing with stuff : but these are all things that are "outside" me : my boss ( if I had one:)) my husband,
    astroids, etc etc.. you can tell them to piss off , leaf : you are right about that . But this is all fine when it comes to stress that comes from others
    My stress is from myself, from the situation i have gotten into since i have pain an live with a lot of limitations.
    cannot divorce myself :(can tell myself to piss off : does not help so far

that what i noticed a lot since working on the tms stuff , and reading here, and reading 'the books" it is mostly about : stress from childhood
    stress from outsite situations, stress from personality traits : i can also relate to that , But:
    my biggest stress now is the stress that came into my life because of this debilitating pain
    and all the adjustments i have had to make in the last couple of years
    i feel quilty (although have very supportive husband, who never complains and is great ) for not being able te walk te dog, him have to drive me to every appointment etc
    having to do the shopping and this is all going on for +3 years. and not knowing if i ever will be able to.
    and believe me i do what i can , have made all sorts of crazy adjustments. (cooking on a chair.. sitting under the shower : there is no
    part of life that has not changed!!) today i have stress for all sorts of social meetings : i am stressing : is there a chair so i can sit soon, how far do i have to walk ? is it 'do-able" to go there etc etc
    so when i meet with a friend nowadays : i stress over stuff that is directly caused by the pain and the concequentes they bring
    so : good to know what to do with stress that comes from the outside world: but this is stress from my situation because of pain!
    And i think a lot of people here must feel that way : there is your personality but there is also the situation your pain has got you in to

karina

Lavender likes this.
  11. David88

David88 Well known member

Hi eskimoeskimo,

I first read Sarno sometime around 2002, and while I've improved greatly, it has taken a long time, and I'm still working on the last 20%.

Please put the idea of a 'breakthrough' out of your head. Some people may have that experience, but in general recovery does not work that way. Think instead of gradual progress, at your pace, that will add up to big changes over time. I suspect that looking for a breakthrough is getting in your way right now. Breakthroughs are scary! They mean big change. That fear can get in the way of recovery.

For me, recovery has been slow and gradual. I've been on a long journey to understand myself and my need to be in pain. That sort of thing doesn't happen quickly. It doesn't happen at all if you put pressure on yourself.

Little by little, I've been changing my life so that I can be happy and healthy. New friends, new activities, new ways of relating to people. Setting things right with my family. Finding my inner joy.

I'm on my third therapist. The first two didn't know how to help me. Number Three does. Patience counts for a lot.

The hardest thing for me has always been letting those dark inner feelings into consciousness. The rage, fear, and despair that hide inside. It takes great courage to search out those inner demons, and when you find them, to look them in the eye, shake their hand, and say, "Yes, I know you! You're part of me!"

And then the demon turns out to be not so scary after all -- just a part of me that's hurting and wants to be heard. And then you find that it's not really a demon, just a scared little child that needs a hug.

Eskimo, I don't know if this will be your path. But it has been mine.

David.

12. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Thank you David, this helps put things into perspective. I want to make sure that I'm working in the right direction... so no progress makes it hard to know. But, you are absolutely right that I a have all my chips in the 'breakthrough' basket.

13. eskimoeskimo

TT, if only I could hire you to hang out with me for a week... I think my TMS would cower at your counterpunches!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  14. eskimoeskimo

I agree, it sure feels like there's nothing I'd want to feel less than this pain. But, for me anyways, anxiety and depression came long before the pain and made me into an agoraphobic cave/bedroom-dweller. Maybe my brain was so afraid of pushing back out into the world that, when I tried, it responded with pain... and by god has it worked. Much more than the sensation of pain, the upsetting factor is the way that the pain makes life just seem impossible. So maybe it thinks it's helping me by keeping me from re-entering the world, where the worst and most traumatic anxiety takes place for me. Now that I'm thinking this through out loud, I realize that there really is a major part of me that would feel safer (maybe even better) hiding away and moping about my physical pain than risk the trauma that often comes with leaving my private space. Needless to say, this hasn't worked very well... but maybe there's a similar pattern in your life that you might be able to recognize? ... Some convoluted way that your brain might be thinking it's protecting you by giving you the pain/feelings you think you want to feel least? - E

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    karinabrown likes this.
  15. Tennis Tom

Yes I understand and have been there. Little steps. If you haven't already read SteveO's book "GPD" and see how tough it can be to make the break-throughs back to movement. He did it and at times it took having his wife wack him on the legs with a base-ball bat. KEEP READING!

karinabrown and jrid32 like this.
  16. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Thank you KarinaBrown

You stated the situation so well and I fully understand as I am in the same position. The pain has gone on for so long that there really are no longer outside stressors but rather angst and frustration over debilitating and constant pain.

We would never, ever wish to put so many responsibilities on our helpful family members, but we need assistance in coping from day to day. True they don't complain but we don't want them to get TMS for Pete's sake!

karinabrown likes this.
  17. karinabrown

once again i noticed what a great thing it is to have a wiki like this ! talking to people like you all, who know what it's like.
    read do many great responses on this one topic..which is not even my topic but Eskimo's..but we can all benefit (all of us with a longer healing path)
    once again learned some thimgs

@pete88: loved your comment a lot too: made me rethink some stuff ! thanks!

thanks all!

18. karinabrown

Tennistom:
    i did read steveO , and 2 of Sarno..but i discover reading here helps me more.
    the books where good for info on tms
    real experience is better to me. Steve O: loved the book, but his way of making breakthrough in moving is a bit too much for me. i read these parts with constant 'OMG' impresed with his curage
    to do it that way. But i actually got stressed reading the part where he starting running in that much pain.
    some of us perhaps need baby steps: and at last i can say: as long as i make progress: that's good for now! but you are right i must keep .at it!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Tennis Tom likes this.