1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

did anyone break through after long time?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Apr 7, 2016.

1. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Did any of you struggle with TMS work for a long time before having a successful breakthrough? I'm starting to wonder how long is reasonable to keep attempting this approach before conceding that something else is necessary. I've been working on TMS for over 3 years with no results, including with a TMS therapist. I'm more lost, and in more pain now than when I started... and I guess my belief in the diagnosis, and prognosis, are waning after so long.

Lavender likes this.
  2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Maybe we are putting to much pressure on the healing and less focus on the living....believe me I know what you mean

Forest and Gigi like this.
  3. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

Hey Eskimo sorry to hear that you are not feeling u r making any progress. The fact that uve been at it for 3 years shows how determined u r and maybe u need to ease up on it a bit.

I'm very early on in my recovery so I'm no expert but I have noticed some subtle changes. Im spending more time trying to connect with the inner unconscious rage, I tell myself I have this rage so I believe it is there and I think about trying to connect with it and release it or better transform it.
    A few weeks back I bought myself a nice notepad and wrote down everything TMS. My understanding of it, my reasons for why I think I have it (symptoms and personality), what might have caused it/continue to add to it and what strategies will help, I also use it to journal.

I read recently about setting goals in life, maybe learn something new. I know it's something I need to do, it's as if I'm getting a message that life is getting a bit stagnant and I need something new but I am soo tired after work that I struggle to do other things.

Good luck on your journey inwards.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi eskimoeskimo,
    I am sorry for your experience. I wonder if you've had a TMS diagnosis by a physician?
    Andy B

5. eskimoeskimo

I think about this a lot. TMS treatment, thus far, has not been helpful. It just magnifies my obsession with how I feel and makes things worse. I think I've held onto the idea that 'worse' makes sense until I break through the charade... but this may just be more self-sabotage. But, resuming life seems impossible with this pain unresolved. I'm never quite sure how to battle.

6. eskimoeskimo

Thanks for your reply. You've got some good ideas here that I'll be trying.

7. eskimoeskimo

I haven't. I think I've assumed that that wouldn't do much for TMS confidence because a 'TMS doctor' is going to see TMS where the rest of the medical community would not... in the same way that a chiropractor is going to say the problem is 'alignment' even though that's bunk. But maybe I'm wrong on that, maybe it would help. I suppose it couldn't hurt.

8. eskimoeskimo

Nobody took this long to tap into TMS healing?

9. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Hi eskimoeskimo,

I too am one who is still seeking after 5 years without even a day’s relief from severe pain, having been applying TMS principles since early 2012. Since the pain is aggravated by walking any further than about 8 steps, it has stolen my life. Sorry for this negativity, but do know you are not the only one who hasn’t seen improvement. Wishing you better days ahead

10. eskimoeskimo

And I, you Lavender. Thank you

11. eskimoeskimo

12. blake

blake Well known member

Hi Eskimo,

Can't speak for myself, since I've been at it almost 2 years with no relief. But check out a success story by nguyeq12 "100 % healed." She was at it 5 years and healed completely.

13. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

I am not a MD or a Therapist, but here are my two cents...

From my experience with MBS, I have come to the realization that one can sometimes work too hard at the "recovery". Also one can become obsessed with the "steps" to recovery. Personally I have struggled with both those issues and believe it is slowly down my recovery. The crazy thing is that I believe my conscious mind knows these traits are hampering my recovery but my subconscious mind is putting up a "bigger fight".

Have you ever tried to just take a break from your structured recovery? Have you tried to "switch it up" by trying new methods? Maybe it's time to take off the gloves and truly fight it or maybe it's time to focus strictly on self-compassion? Or have you ever thought about reaching out to a MBS coach like SteveO or Monte Hueftle?

14. eskimoeskimo

Worth way more than 2 cents! Thank you

I do think I use TMS work as an excuse to avoid moving on with my life. I'm so afraid of moving on before I know for sure sure sure that my pain can go away.

15. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

Don't use "can go away" use "will go away"!

16. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I knew I had to go through the pain to get to the other side i.e. the recovery. So for me it was going towards my fears, the pain triggers, calmly going through them. One year later I am taking on more and more triggers and overcoming them. I accepted from the beginning that this was going to be the hardest thing I had ever done. Focusing on slowing down my breathing when the pain came was a great tool as it enabled me calm down enough to get in touch with any underlying emotions and address those. I became more determined than the pain.

17. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

eskimo:
    I do think I use TMS work as an excuse to avoid moving on with my life. I'm so afraid of moving on before I know for sure sure sure that my pain can go away

this is interesting to me! and I've wondered about this myself too
    because the big question after that is : why are we afraid of moving on with life? responseability ,afraid to fail? and if so : is having pain to avoid "living" really worth it?
    if that is the case that is really stuff to think about.
    today got back on the forum and hopefully continue later today with the SEP after a break 2,5 weeks:
    I got sick which set me back and also noticed i was going at this too hard : it made me very anxies

I am in pain for almost 4 years and my footpain has robbed me of a normal life: lost my job etc etc
    what I did do (even before i heard about tms is ) is starting to study what was a extreme big step because of the money of course
    but mostly : because of taking that step : i made some sort of dicision to move on with my life..
    I felt I had too. because i was doing nothing but going from doctors appointment to another and basicly waithing to get better
    and it was not happening. when i stopped that and started my studying : something positive came into my life
    after a very long time : and some improvement for the first time too. then came the tmswiki in the picture
    and started to work on that : bang ! more symptoms..it freaked me out
    i started wondering about that and must admit i has to do with the digging and the works in involves
    face it: digging around in your stresses and bad emotions is not real fun is it ?: it is stressfull and can be sad. And also if you overdo it : your whole day is filled with thinking ..
    so : more negativity : and also my tms personality makes that worse :was reading here a lot
    now i know : if i want to move forward with the tms work (and i do) i have to go about it real carefully
    not overdo it : but most of all : it cannot be the only work i do on recovery : i must find a way to relax and
    do stuff to make me happy. this sounds so easy but it is maybe the hardest thing to do when you have pain
    maybe : it is the biggest task! before your know it : you are only waiting for later days to have some fun and never doing it : only waiting for better times!
    so eskimo : so far , in my opinion you have to find a way to do both : somehow find a way to moving on with life (for as much as you can ) and
    also do the things that are needed for this tmshealing.
    that is my goal at this moment : move forward with the tmswork : but to not let it be my whole day : that is not working!
    it is a lot of the time one step forward and two steps back..but you know what : you do "get on with life" if you try or not
    as long as a nother day begins : you get on with life : and hopefully we get past :just moving on" to doing much
    better : because that is the goal!

karina

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    tgirl likes this.
  18. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Karina, it is funny you should write this post. I was wondering the same thing as you. Am I waiting to feel better before I move on with life, and is so, why.

I too believe we have to push ourselves and experience the day the best we can along with working on healing.

19. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

tgirl:
    maybe it is normal at first to wait on better days to move forward : when months and even years go by: this is another situation : maybe a shift somehow has to be made in order to be able to move on'? maybe even force myself into changes
    otherwise i would fear nothing will change

here on the wiki i once read something like: ask yourself if there are benifits to having pain : i know it made me somehow angry to think about it: but i did..it is a hard question
    not living a full life because of...? don't know it..does it play any role?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  20. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I agree it is normal to wait until you feel better before moving ahead in the short run, but for me it has been a long time, so that scenario isn't viable. But the question, "are there benefits to having pain" is an interesting one. Long term pain totally freaks me out and mentally paralyzes me, so I really can't see its benefit.:(