1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 17 Dialogue journaling

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HPJM, Aug 20, 2015.

1. HPJM

HPJM New Member

The perfectionist in me is worrying whether I did the dialogue journaling correctly. I talked about my dad and future plans again, and it seemed to be like a conversation with my doubts in there. How would you journal about a body part or an entity?

What part of this program do you find the most helpful?

I find the readings and video resources the most helpful. (The journaling techniques are extremely helpful, but I have to choose!) It's nice getting different perspectives and different concepts to bear in mind.

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Journaling has been so very important to me. 5 years later I still journal on a regular basis. My phone alarm goes off every evening at 7:30 to remind to journal. My schedule doesn't allow me to journal every evening but it is a mental reminder to be aware of my thoughts.

My body also reminds me. I start feeling tightness in areas where I have old injuries. My back starts to tingle with shingles pain. My abdomen tightens up. I start coughing with acid reflex.

Journaling helps me to release the tightening and restricting from blood flow and oxygen.

I also relive a success in Journaling.
    Keep up the good work hp. You can do it.

HPJM likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It's good to relive a success in journaling. We often forget how much happiness is in our lives, or the good we have done for others or ourselves.

A friend just emailed me about having met former President Jimmy Carter who has been diagnosed with cancer. He said wonderful things about him. They were good to read.

HPJM likes this.
  4. LindaStu

LindaStu New Member

\\

I just did the day 15 journaling, which was the first time I've ever seen the dialogue journaling technique. I couldn't think of a current person/situation that would fit this so almost skipped it. Then, I decided to write to my back, leg & foot that have caused me so much pain/grief in the last 9 months or so. I can't believe how much or how long I wrote! It was me to them, and I really think I gained some insight - like them ( body) told me (brain) - "you are meaner to yourself then we ever thought about being - we were doing you a favor!". And me, responding, "You're right. But you need to know I can handle these emotions - I have a lot of support, spiritually, family & friends. And I am learning to be compassionate to myself, like I am to others,". Sounds funny. But I am surprised at how helpful today's journaling feels. I say try it!!!

Grateful17 and Lizzy like this.
  5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

When I dialoged I wrote it like a play, I asked my brain why was (whatever) happening.
    Me:
    Brain:
    It was really interesting because as I wrote one response the other response would pop into my mind. It really was like a conversation, I didn't have to think about it, it just flowed as fast as I could write. Very interesting to do. I have also done myself and each parent. Hope this helps

LindaStu likes this.
  6. HPJM

HPJM New Member

Thanks guys. I was worrying very hard about trying to get it 'right' but I realise I have to let it flow.

Lizzy likes this.