1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 15 dialog with my own self

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ania, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Ania

Ania Peer Supporter

When I read today about dialogue technique I was confused. I thought rather to skip that excercise.
    But finally decided to talk to myself. It was long talk. But finally I asked "When you will stop to generate my back pain?".
    And the answer I've received was "I'll stop, when I make sure that you will not go back into yours old habits, and when you get in touch with your soul. Everything you need you have inside."

ssxl4000, JanAtheCPA and Shiloh6 like this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Howdy...your post reminds me of a great article I read (and still reread) about our inner child. I put the link below if you are interested. It really is a conversation with that other part of your brain. I had a hard time getting used to that as I felt like I had split personalities, but it becomes normal after a while. Keep up the good soul searching!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/evil-deeds/200806/essential-secrets-psychotherapy-the-inner-child (Essential Secrets of Psychotherapy : The Inner Child)

Ania and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Ania

Ania Peer Supporter

good article! thank you.

4. LaineyVeganseed

LaineyVeganseed Peer Supporter

Great article! I'm on Day 15 today and this was very helpful. I've been feeling torn between those in the forum who take a hard line approach to the part of themselves that is triggering the pain, because for me it really feels more like the pain is that inner child crying out for comfort. Maybe either approach works, I just am a very sensitive person by nature so getting "tough" with my inner self was adding to the pain problems. Now the pain reminds me to stop and listen to the child inside and find out what it needs to be comforted.

5. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

I'm glad you liked the article. I was one of those people getting "tough" with my inner self. I originally thought of it as my angry/dark side that needed to be brought into submission. Then I started realizing it was just my inner child, angry after years of neglect. That really messed with my head for a while and made me feel terrible, like I was abusing a real child! I think the article says it best. We have to be nurturing and accepting, as well as provide structure and boundaries. Keep up the good work on the program!

LaineyVeganseed likes this.
  6. SRcombs

SRcombs Peer Supporter

I'm like you. I have to be careful about taking a hard line with my inner child. I'm learning to treat my inner child how I try to treat my own child. Firm, but compassionate.

LaineyVeganseed likes this.