1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dermatographia

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Renee, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Renee

Renee Well known member

Hi All,

New symptom for me. This is TMS right? When I found out that there is actually a name for the skin condition I've recently started having, I Googled it and started reading. But I immediately caught myself and stopped reading about it after realizing that it is probably TMS.

Renee

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Never heard of it, what is it ? Sound's like some compulsion to write notes on your skin or to get tattoos?

3. Mad

Mad Peer Supporter

It's actually a reaction to scratching your skin, it welts where you scratched.

Renee, I've had a mild case of this mor many years. BUT- mine only occurs on my tattoos, and only certain ones. I'll scratch an itch, and immediately I'll welt up only in the exact places where there's ink. It's never been severe enough to cause concern, so I just blow it off.

Renee likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Sounds like another TMS distraction, skin issues can very well be TMS also. It does feel good to scratch an itch once in a while but if it becomes obsessive, creating damage or bleeding then that would be going over the line into TMS territory. When I find myself over-scratching a spot, I'll trim my finger nails and the urge goes away.

5. Renee

Renee Well known member

"Dermatographism, also known as dermagraphism, simply translates "writing on the skin”. It is a very common localized hive reaction, affecting approximately 2-5% of the general population. This condition is characterized by the abrupt onset of welts and hives where the skin is exposed to pressure, scratching, itching or stroking. Dermatographism is frequently diagnosed incidentally, especially in relation to other skin disorders like eczema.

The skin lesions are believed to be the result of an inappropriate release of histamine in the absence of a typical immune signal. Histamine causes the exaggerated response leading to red welts and hives."

Oddly enough it doesn't itch it just appears as red hive-like welts. I thought any type of hives was TMS. I've been using a tool on my stomach that is supposed to help scar tissue and fascia.

6. Tennis Tom

There's a book I just got used from Amazon to add to my TMS library, it's titled "SKIN DEEP : A Mind/Body Program for Healthy Skin" , by Grossbart & Sherman. It's from 1992 and I didn't see "dermatographism" in the index. So, I'm always suspicious when "medical-science" comes up with a "new" dis-ease. I haven't read the book but from skimming, it seems to be TMS complementary, judging by the back cover : "...the skin is exquisitely sensitive to the emotions....citing psychological techniques..."

7. Renee

Renee Well known member

That is a good book Tom. I read it earlier this year. It talks about using self hypnosis as treatment which like meditation I've never been able to do. But I liked the TMS aspect of it. I just figure that the welts were another try by my unconscious to trick me into yet another distraction, since normally I would have been horrified by the rash.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. jrl2014

jrl2014 Newcomer

I know this is an old thread but I found it while trying to get insight on my hives, which specifically sounds just like dermatographia in that it keeps spreading (or was) wherever I scratch. I'm 6 months pregnant so hives are pooh-poohed by mainstream docs as a normal, idiopathic pregnancy symptom. My question is -- is it counterproductive to TMS best practices to take antihistamines (similar to Benadryl) for it, at least when it's at its worst (like I was yesterday, unable to concentrate on anything but the itching)? I've taken a couple days' worth and I do believe it's helped curb the worst of it and helped me to sleep, but of course now my overactive mind worries that I'm prolonging it by reinforcing it somehow.

9. ericserpa123

ericserpa123 New Member

Your Hives are from TMS I am now 80% recovered from severe hives. What helped me the most was meditating everyday and Following Alans Pain Recovery Program by the end of it your hives should almost be gone.

10. Islander

Islander Peer Supporter

Is called mast cell activatiom symdrome, and i wast told and scientific community says it has no cure