1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Depression and anxiety

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Benny562562, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Benny562562

Benny562562 Peer Supporter

On day 4 of dr Schecters workbook program and started having a lot of anxiety and now depression. Is this normal? I have been having some good days and bad days but the last 2 have been really bad. I think my fear is the fear of not getting better. I'll keep praying and continue thinking positive

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi Benny,

I have found that sometimes when sadness about something is trying to come to awareness my brain will distract me with depression. It is vague and isn't about anything, so while I wallow in the feeling of depression, I am distracted from my real emotion and what I actually need to express sadness about. That said, we're all different, this is just a suggestion to explore.

I am glad you learned you have tms, and that you found this great forum!

Lizzy

Benny562562 likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had the twin meanies of anxiety and depression and found these techniques helpful.

You can expect some good days and bad, but try to stay focused on believing TMS is going to heal you. Find things to distract you and make you feel happy.

1. Count Your Breaths
    Best For: Surviving Red-Alert Emergencies
    When it comes to calming down, deep breathing is still the place to start. "By forcing yourself to breathe as you do in your most relaxed moments, you trick your body into releasing calming neurohormones, causing a biological shift in how you feel," says psychotherapist Belleruth Naparstek, a leader in the field of guided imagery. "Just inhale and feel your abdomen expand. Go as slowly as possible, counting in -- 1-2-3. Then, observe the turn of your breath, and breathe it out -- 1-2-3. Whether you do this for one minute or five, it's going to bring you to a calmer place."

2. Be Here Now
    Best For: Combating Worst-Case-Scenario Anxiety
    "Our minds are constantly in the past or the future -- we'll ruminate on what's too late to change or catastrophize about what hasn't happened yet," says Diana Winston, a director at the UCLAMindfulAwarenessResearchCenter and coauthor ofFully Present. "But the more you practice coming back to the present, the less anxious you'll feel. For example, when I wash dishes, instead of letting my mind wander to all my worries, I really try to show up and pay attention to the sensations of the task -- the water, the heat, the plate in my hand. Eyes open or closed okay.”

3. Flex And Release
    Best For: Letting Go Of Work Tension
    "Start by clenching the muscles in your forehead and face as you take a breath and hold it for a moment," says Nina Smiley, Ph.D., coauthor ofThe Three Minute Meditator. "As you release the tension, exhale fully and relax. Work your way down your body, repeating the process. The tightening and releasing is a physical cue to the body to let stress go."

Lizzy and Benny562562 like this.