1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Depersonalization and Derealization

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by camera, Jan 9, 2015.

1. camera

camera Peer Supporter

Does anyone here know about depersonalization and how it relates to TMS? I would describe depersonalization as a state in which your senses are dulled, including your ability to feel feelings. (If you want more information, here is the Wikipedia description of depersonalization, and here is a questionnaire that describes a lot of feelings associated with depersonalization.)

Is depersonalization just a really extreme TMS? When you experience TMS, do your senses become duller the same way your feelings become hard to feel?

A lot of people develop depersonalization as a chronic disorder after acute drug use or after a period of working too much without having a chance to relax. I think this is interesting because, in his book, Steven Ozanich talked a lot about how working a lot is related to TMS.

Thanks for any thoughts on this. I find this confusing because I've had depersonalization for much of my life. Do all TMSers experience depersonalization or is it something that just makes TMS possible?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting question. I have experienced depersonalization a few times as a child, but not as an adult. I don't think it is related to TMS, but I am no expert. Maybe this is a question for Ask-A-Therapist.

3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

mike2014 likes this.