1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Delayed weakness

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Imagyx, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

Hello everyone.
    I've got a question about what happened yesterday and hope for some advice.
    I went to a workout, cooked a nice meal and baked a cake yesterday.
    Then I sat down for some minutes and at first I fealt very well.
    I even thought: "You did it , this is much more than I expected to do, I'm getting better."
    Some minutes later my right arm felt suddently weak. It wasn't pain, just the feeling that my arm was going weak/numb/heavy etc.
    And on was the vicious cycle. I tried to stop by saying to myself: "Don't listen to your stupid fear of having done too much.", but it
    went on and on in my head. I was really anxious about doing anything else yesterday.
    I really want to push through and believe in my strength, but everytime something like that happens I fall back into my old behaviour.
    Also I'm really tired, not just today but the last days. I read about that possibly being part of TMS as well, but it's even
    harder to believe that.
    How can I cut my resistance ?
    This can only indicate that I'm not 100% sure about my TMS, right ?
    I must say, I am at daggers drawn with psychology since my first encounters with a psychologist, because they told me it's all in my head.
    Not the Sarno way, but in a way meaning that I'm crazy.
    That seems to stand in my way. I was once so far, thinking that something with my genes must be wrong, some DNA part
    that no scientist knows about yet. I'm still struggling with the physical.
    During the workout everything's fine and afterwards when I think about it too much, BOOM!

2. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Imagyx,
    I am new at this but I have really been reading a lot. I want to encourage you to push through.
    Keep talking to yourself positive and have 1 or 2 positive affirmations that you say to yourself when you
    feel like you did to much. For example, I am so strong and healthy and I love my life.

Maybe you were tired because all this TMS stuff is somewhat tiring just standing against it. For me I get tired just from standing against
    the pain. Then, I am kind to myself and if I can I take a nap. I try to be very loving to myself and deep breathe
    a lot. It just finding what works for you.

One other thing that I have learned when the pain comes on I use to try to figure it out and analyze it. I do not do that
    anymore because it use to cause the symptoms to increase. I just start saying a few times very firmly this is not physical it
    is psychological. I say firmly but lovingly I am physically 100% fine I may try to figure out what is bothering me but if I do not know
    then I just ignore whatever symptom I have.

I try to remember that when a symptom just pops up out of nowhere it is to discourage me. The symptom has a voice and wants
    create fear, disappointment, confusion... I am learning to be very firm and not to let these negative feelings of the symptom to
    get me to focus on the symptom and why did this happen. I may be thinking," Oh, no I was doing so well." I try not to focus on these
    thoughts of hopelessness. Often, at that point when discouragement is trying to come in I get on the TMS wiki and read testimonials.
    That really helps.

You are going to do well. You are well on your way. Just be patient with yourself and consistent and you will surely see
    progress.
    G.R.

Imagyx likes this.
  3. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

Thank you very very much G.R.
    I couldn't think of more encouragement than in what you wrote for me here.
    This is exactly what I feel, it somehow wants to bring me down.
    I want to ignore the symptoms, too. But I've only managed it for a short time or when it
    wasn't that bad.
    I'll keep trying. You make it easier by saying you can do it yourself.
    I just need to get many of the bad thoughts out of my head. There a voices over and over.

4. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

EPD25: write a forum post on how you are doing so far, and what apprehensions you may have about this treatment or your life in general.

I do the work, but I can't stop thinking: How long is this going to take?
    Maybe you know the following thought: "How is my life some years from now, if possible could the future
    me tell me that everything's fine, don't worry?"
    I've had that thought so many times before, as an example when I moved for the first time to another city.
    Also I feel like this is somehow my last chance, nothing else is working, this has to be it.

Well, I'm trying to push through, I put on some more weights at the workout yesterday and besides
    some stiffness and pulling on my muscles and tendons I'm basically fine.