1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Deep Breathing.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lojos, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Lojos

Lojos New Member

One question I have.
    When one uses deep breathing to calm a nervous system is that not trying to get rid of the anxiety.I saw this asked somewhere but can’t remember where.
    Thanks.

2. Guero Triste

Guero Triste Peer Supporter

Deep breathing lowers anxiety. It’s not hard. Breathe into your belly slow and deep. Try not to think, but be aware of your breath and body.

When I bother to do it, it works for me.

3. Lojos

Lojos New Member

Thank you.

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You got a good advice already, I would like to add to it: try to start with a natural pace of breathing, but continue by gradually (very gradually) slowing it down. Do not obsess with breathing too deep. It is the regularity and gradual slowing down of it that does the trick. If it does not work right away, do not despair. It takes a bit of a learning curve to figure it out.

5. Lojos

Lojos New Member

Yes I perhaps worded it wrongly. I do this but was just curious —- we are told not to try to get rid of the symptoms whether they be pain of unwanted emotions.
    There is a fine dividing line.

6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

By deep breathing you are not getting rid of anxiety, you learning how to bring it down to the level that you can control it and work your way through it by feeling it and recognizing what triggered it. It is correct that you should not suppress anxiety, but what is also correct is that you should not let it run the show.

7. Lojos

Lojos New Member

Thanks TG957