1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dealing with TMS and personal turmoil

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by catalopez24, Nov 5, 2019.

1. catalopez24

catalopez24 Newcomer

Hi all,

I have been on the process to recovering from TMS, after 3 years of different chronic conditions such as tendinitis, sciatica, and shoulder/neck pain. I have improved a lot in the past 6-7 weeks after reading Dr. Sarno's book and following the pain recovery program. I have been doing well with journaling and mindfulness. I was beginning to be very optimistic about my full recovery. But then, unexpectedly, my 4-year relationship was ended by my ex partner. We lived together and worked together. We also have a dog together. It has been so hard because we had major plans to move together to another country early next year, and I had a lot of dreams and expectations. We always had a great relationship based on trust and love so it has hit me really hard to be betrayed by someone I loved so deeply (And who I was sure felt the same way). I also have a feeling he was tired of all my health problems and looking after me, which also makes me feel bad about myself. Since we lived together, I am also having a bigger financial burden because I have to pay for the house and its expenses by myself, and also my dog's expenses. This whole situation is very overwhelming and I feel I am regressing back to TMS symptoms because I cannot find the strength to continue to program as I did before all this happened. Does anybody have any experience with coping with difficult emotional times while recovering from TMS? Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

zclesa and Aimee88 like this.
  2. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

It would be helpful to read Steve O's book, wherein he describes in detail the emotional turmoil he experienced on his long road to wellness.

catalopez24 likes this.
  3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

The goal is not to get rid of your pain...the goal is to live an authentic life. It always comes back to your actual life and the emotions generated within your life. This is an emotional/spiritual journey so the focus should be on your life and not getting rid of your pain. There's an excellent post by Savsana on the forum "Must Read if You Want to Defeat TMS). I think she really gets to the heart of the matter.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    zclesa and catalopez24 like this.
  4. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member