1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dealing with setbacks

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by patty9, Dec 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. patty9

patty9 New Member

Hi all,

I first read mind-body prescription about 3 months ago, and felt immediate relief in my neck and foot pain. The pain remained in my glute muscles and my wrists, but over the course of about three months the pain in my wrists just about went away. I went from not being able to hold a pencil without pain to programming for a few hours a day with no problem. about a week after I started programming again, the pain returned in my left wrist returned, and has stayed there for a couple of days.

I initially just tried to work through it, and took it as another step in the journey, but I have noticed that my wrist seems to click and pop more than it usually does, and that has been a little more concerning to me. I was curious if that happened to anybody else in their recovery process?

Also, please do not mention timeline of recovery because I am trying to take this one day at a time, and just personally, hearing specific numbers can feel daunting at times.

2. patty9

patty9 New Member

To be clear, I did have a few setbacks before this. Like I would notice that my right wrist hurt a bunch the next day after I was typing for instance. But this usually resolved after about a day or two, and there was no clicking or anything like that.

Balsa11 likes this.
  3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

All your symptoms, including clicking and popping etc. are harmless and transient. they are what Dr. Sarno refers to as "normal abnormalities". Instead of seeing them as "setbacks" see them for what they are, just false alarms from the brain...meaningless sensations trying to distract you from emotions. Notice them with curiosity (not fear or concern) and ask yourself "hmm, what am I feeling? What was I thinking about? what is going in my life?". Use them as opportunities to shift focus and attend to your life. You already have evidence that it's TMS, evidenced by the fact that they come and go. It's simply your brain going into danger mode and your job is to figure out why. Was it an emotion, a thought habit? etc etc.

Neil and patty9 like this.
  4. patty9

patty9 New Member

Thank you for your words of encouragement miffybunny!

Has anybody experienced this sort of clicking and popping and it went away, or is this something I should not expect to change? I don't really mind it (the clicking doesnt hurt per se), but I have heard that people noticed they became more flexible after the pain subsided and I'm wondering if this is related.

5. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sarno addressed 'noises' that our bodies make like clicking and popping. It was in "healing back pain". I get them in my knee, jaw, hips and a lot of other places I am probably forgetting. Sometimes my Joints actually CREAK. That squeaky noise a door hinge makes.
    I have been ignoring it for 22 years with no problems. I have noticed they tend to happen when I am 'tight' e.g. not quite as loose as I can be .....and that might be seen as an early warning symptom that I am 'tightening up' which equals, slowly loosing my awareness of stuff in my environment and head that is making me angry