1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with flare-ups

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rain, Sep 26, 2018.

1. rain

rain New Member

Hi,

I'm curious how you deal with flare-ups after a period of relatively less pain. What sort of techniques do you find helpful to calm the pain?

I do exercises to calm the parasympathetic nervous system (progressive muscle relaxation, separating two arrows meditation etc) and some elementary yoga poses but I would like to learn more tools.

Last week, I hurt my back after doing a yoga pose and since then, I'm finding that I'm tending to get more anxious about the lingering pain, which I know will make the pain worse.

Thanks.

2. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

One strategy is to see it as an opportunity to re-negotiate how you relate to the symptoms, mainly in a less fearful way. I like Claire Weekes's idea that full recovery doesn't mean never having symptoms, but navigating symptoms without panicking. So, it is a chance to practice!

3. rain

rain New Member

Good point. I had forgotten about her "utter acceptance" idea. It's just hard to do it when you're in pain, but I suppose it is a chance to practice, like you said.

4. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

I know, so much easier said than done, but it is some of the most important work we can do.

I was actually just reading her book and saw a line that reminded me of your post:
    "You may despair again and again. This is not important if you remember never to despair completely and are always willing to pick up the pieces and go on."

Wishing you the best

rain likes this.