1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with difficult people

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by AC45, Feb 5, 2018.

1. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hello,

I could use some advice.

We all have difficult people in our lives - whether it be at home, at work or at school.

What are your resources for managing at these folks?

How do you stay calm, peaceful, etc?

AC45

2. lauraseago

lauraseago Peer Supporter

Would you mind giving some more context?

Everyone's situation is unique, so hard to say. For me personally (and this may not be the right method for everyone), I have been able to significantly improve how I deal with difficult people in three ways:

1. Not taking anything they do or say personally (HUGE shift and the hardest part)
    2. Making adjustments in the place this person holds in your life and/or your expectations of them
    2. Trying to understand why they are the way they are, and whether there are any 'frameworks' to help deal with them better that can result in a more positive experience for both of us. For example, if you know that someone exhibits Borderline Personality traits, you might try following the SET communication framework.

"The Four Agreements" helped me a lot with #1. Working with a professional therapist helped me with the others.

Good luck!

AC45 likes this.
  3. lauraseago

lauraseago Peer Supporter

Oh, and lastly.... make sure you're taking care of yourself. If I'm meditating regularly, I find myself MUCH calmer, more empathetic, and better equipped to not take anything personally.

For some people, yoga does that. Others, fishing. Whatever helps you present your best self to the situation can only help!

AC45 likes this.
  4. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Thank you Laura!