1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

De Quervain's Tendinitis

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bernard, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Bernard

Bernard Peer Supporter

Hello all
    The mosty recent pain source (17 years chrinic back pain + 2 years knee 'tendonitis') i have is my thumb....
    The doc's call it De Quervains Tendinitis.
    I have a swollen lump at the base of my thumb
    It started when carrying our 1st sone a great deal
    I got it injected a year or so ago.
    Started playing the guitar and loved it. The thumb condition came back

I've been told the next option is a minor surgical one.
    I have always avoided any surgery but am not sure if this is tms.
    It's be great to hear from others re this issue and any thoughts or experience....
    For those with RSI TMS - did you experience any tendon sheath swelling?

Many thanks all

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Ahh, the internal debate to have surgery or not. That is something that I went through with my own hand/wrist pain. I am not a doctor, so can't say for sure, but I tend to think De Quervain's can be a form a TMS. I have read about it being group as an overuse injury and most of those forms of RSI are TMS. It is always important that TMS will move around. It is very common for people with TMS to have very common conditions-back and knee pain-along with some lesser known ones such as De Quervain's.

A better question to ask yourself is why do you doubt that it is TMS. An important point to understand is that the question is it TMS is actually the TMS distraction at play. Your unconscious wants you to have doubt and to question if this approach will work. Why? Because when you worry about if something is TMS, you are not thinking psychologically and recognizing your emotions.

An even better question comes from the thread Coherence Therapy and is by Dr. James Alexander. He asked: What would be the bad thing, the dangerous thing, the scary thing, the difficulty you would have to face if you let go of the ......(eg. pain)...?

Bernard and Lala like this.
  3. Bernard

Bernard Peer Supporter

thanks for that Forest

I am riddled with doubt
    yet desparate to believe and really integrate this

But i struggle with intellectual believe vs. an underlying and well developed fear

it would seem that every new avenue of expression, release i find gets closed down with some new and longstanding ailment
    first my back . So i started focusing on the push bike and swimming for my physical highs.
    15 years later add a knee tendonitis and put the bike back in the garage
    start playing the guitar instead .... and loving it, finding my voice
    then this thumb issue
    put the guitar in the garage.....

4. PaperCrane

PaperCrane Peer Supporter

I'm sorry to hear about your tendonitis, but am glad you posted about it. Very interesting. I suddenly started having thumb and wrist pain myself, after seeing some improvement in my TMS symptoms, and just posted about it in another thread.

You mention that this is keeping you from a creative outlet and you put your guitar back in your garage. I'd always wanted to be a writer, but gave up that dream years ago. I now suspect it was related to guilt over family members who were forced to give up a career in art and take a 'real job' to raise me, but there were probably a number of other factors involved, too. Then, when I started journaling in an attempt to work on my TMS issues, I also started getting back into writing poetry and it felt wonderful. It was enough to get me thinking about larger writing projects again and feeling alive again for the first time in quite a while.

Actually, when my wrist and hand pain started up recently, my first thought was of how hard this was going to make writing and that this was yet another excuse for me not to do it. I don't know. I'm new to all of this, but I have a strong feeling there is a TMS connection here for both of us.

5. Bernard

Bernard Peer Supporter

Hello PaperCrane
    thank you for sharing you experiences.
    You made me think
    about poetry....
    as a child i loved poetry and creative writing
    writing little poems and playing with language

I was encouraged towards the logical 'boys'(!) stuff - sciences and engineering and followed that route into my current career

perhaps we could introduce some poetry to our daily commitment to write & let it out.....

6. PaperCrane

PaperCrane Peer Supporter

I think that is an excellent idea!

7. browndogisinthehouse

browndogisinthehouse Peer Supporter

I have a similar query as the original poster. I also have a swelling on my shoulder apparently on the tendon

Is an inflammation also possibly due to TMS?

I have been able to reduce my myofascial symptoms and had started to do chin ups as part of my overall strengthening routine

I was barely doing a couple of chin ups per day but the physiotherapist says that the inflammation could be because of it

So the 1st question is if the inflammation is because of TMS and the 2nd is if the inflammation can be clearly seen on an MRI