1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day one

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by junglebiscuits, Jun 10, 2022.

1. junglebiscuits

junglebiscuits New Member

Hi everyone! I'm starting this journey due to chronic neck and head pain that I've had pretty much constantly for the past 2.5 years. It sometimes makes daily living really hard, and the deeper I dig into the mindbody connection and how pain affects the mind and vice versa, the more ways I can see how it has affected the way I live my life, and to some extent my personality.

I am super hopeful and excited that this program is the way for me. All of my symptoms point to this, and it makes total sense given all the manual bodywork and tests I have done which come back normal and never help. However I can be my own worst nightmare and try and outsmart myself! My concern is my tendency of fear and to catastrophize the pain I'm experiencing and panic, and trying to protect myself. I'm really interested to learn tools and specifically "mottos" I can use when I'm feeling pain to talk and calm myself down. My second concern is stopping the massage, stretching, tpt, heat pack etc routines I can almost obsessively do to avoid pain (although they obviously don't work).

2. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Hello!
    I'd like to share wit you some statements that my therapist suggested me when the pain comes. "I know you! This is just a way to move my attention away from something else!" or "You can do whatever you want, I'm committed to go on with my activities and I'm not going to stop"
    In general, think about your pain as a misleading person that comes to bother you and that you now that.
    hope this could help!

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  3. junglebiscuits

junglebiscuits New Member

Thank you for sharing! I'm definitely going to save those suggestions for next time my mind is spiraling. I think it will help.

Dakota likes this.