1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

day one

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by merlemiller, Feb 8, 2018.

1. merlemiller

merlemiller Newcomer

I went to see dr. sarno in nyc in maybe 1997, i was in my 20s and in a lot of pain and I thought it would never go away. my pain was in my upper back. anyway, i went to see him and it did go away.

Now i am in my 40s and my lower back has hurt for so long. i feel instictually that it is tms but i am also afraid that i have something wrong, because I tried for so long to tell myself it was just in my mind and it didn't work.

so now i am back and trying to accept it's all in my mind. I feel extremely angry and hopeless. that said, my back pain this week moved all over my back , and i know this is a very TMS thing to have happen.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

You are so right! so get on the SEP...!

Lizzy likes this.
  3. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

Keep working on it.

Just to give my 2 cents, when I first read Sarno's Mindbody Rx, it only very very slightly helped me. It turns out I had to use other means to get as deep as I needed to go to in order to get to the source of my pain. It was actually bodywork that helped me to release the emotions my body was holding in. I know Sarno says don't focus on the body, but the mindbody-based body work I did helped me release my emotions that were stuck in my physical body. I couldn't get there just via my mind because I'd truly repressed a memory that was out of reach from my thinking brain. If you're interested, I tell me story at: http://www.healingfromchronicpain.com/ (Healing from Chronic Myofascial Pain--Support for chronic pain sufferers: Defying Gravity--An Athlete's Journey of Healing from Chronic Myofascial Pain)

Since Sarno did work for you at first, hopefully you can successfully address it with the SEP or similar tools. Either way, never give up!

Good luck!

4. Daisymae007

Daisymae007 New Member

How amazing that you were able to see Dr. Sarno directly! I know it's discouraging that the pain has come back, but this is not uncommon and you can beat it again and for good. You're so right, that fact that your pain is moving around is a strong indication of TMS. The average age of our clients is mid to late 40's. It's mid-life and a lot of "stuff" comes up for us then- grief, regrets, paths not taken and resistance to things we want to do or resolve (related to jobs, relationships, where we live, etc.). Give these things some thought and you may get to the root of your current tension and pain.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2018