1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day One

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nikki K, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Nikki K

Nikki K Newcomer

I've actually been practicing (very loosely) Dr. Sarno's principles for the last two months or so and have had an unbelievable improvement in my middle-back and neck pain. I promised myself that once the beginning of the school year was over with (I'm a teacher) I would commit to completing this program, as I know I'm not 100% healed yet. I have pain pop up in various areas around my back and neck. But now, when they do, they don't last long and I can control my fear about them.

However, I know that at times I still let the fear of a total relapse slip into my mind and the anxiety tries to set in.

So here we go: Day One post.
    For me, not having TMS would mean finding confidence again. Although, sometimes I'm not sure if I ever really had it.

Right now, even though I'm feeling 80% better, I'm still struggling with believing that this year I'll be able to garden again, cook for however many hours I desire or go for a jog. So, not having TMS would mean not even thinking about the possibility of NOT doing those things and just confidently choosing the activities I wish to engage in at any given moment.

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the Forum. It's great that you joined us.

It's great that you've found the work of Dr Sarno and have managed to reach 80%, that's a tremendous success and you shouldn't dismiss it.

I've noticed from your post that although you've made significant improvements you are still still stuck in the very cycle that brings you pain, that being fear, anxiety, worry etc.

I understand, to successfully recover one must not only accept TMS, but they must change their relationship to fear. Once you have the ability to be present and not reflect on the past, or any preconceived ideas that you may not be able to garden, cook or jog, the space between you and fear will increase. As this occurs, it will no longer have a hold on you.

I think it would be beneficial for you to create an evidence sheet which will help you enforce your belief. Please try and focuss on your key successes and not any short comings. Our mind is forever trying to latch onto the negative, so it is up to us to conciously enforce positive and healthy thinking.

It has also been scientifically proven that the use of mindfulness meditation and being mindful, i.e being aware of one's thoughts without passing judgement can have a profound effect on ones well being. This will definitely help you to become conciously aware of any negative thoughts that are emerging and teach you not to react.

Without sounding negative, I'd also like to add, TMS can be a life long journey for some, try not to put time frame on your healing. This can cause one to be disappointed or discouraged when you don't see results within a desired time frame.

Finally, please be kind, gentle and compassionate to yourself whilst on this journey, knowing that you are on the path to optimum health and well being.

Best

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nikki. Mike has given you great advice and I can only echo it. His short description of mindfulness is excellent.

There are some wonderful videos on Youtube about mindfulness meditation.
    One of my favorites is "Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking." Michael Sealey's voice is very calming as
    he leads us through instruction on mindfulness of breathing in the present moment.

Good luck in the SEP. You're off to a wonderful start.