1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day One

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jayMck, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jayMck

jayMck New Member

Hi-
    My name is Jay. I'm 52 years old. And most importantly, I play lead guitar in a surf band.

But seriously, about 20 years ago I injured my back while installing a paver patio in my backyard. Instead of resting for a bit and letting it heal, I finished the patio and continued riding my bike for exercise and fun, up to 150 miles/week.

So began 20 years of painful bike rides interrupted by the occasional physical therapy visit/chiropractor visit or big doses of NSAIDS. needless to say, none of it worked. But I refused to stop cycling. J figured it was the price I paid.

Along the way I also dealt with stomach issues and carpal tunnel problems. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands about 5 years ago.

2 years ago I read Dr Sarno's healing Back Pain. Within 30 days I was riding pain free! My back simply did not bother me and I became fearless, sprinting up hard climbs, riding with my 18 year old son, lifting heavy objects. You name it. I wasn't scared of my back anymore.

But about 6 months ago my neck started bothering me and I began waking up with tingling hands. Then I remembered that the doc who diagnosed my carpel tunnel issues mentioned 5 years ago that he thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck. Sure enough, my neck has gotten sorer and stiffer and sleeping has become a challenge. Along with it, My stomach has started bothering me again - especially at work. And I should explain, it's a new job and I'm eager to be a good employee and make a good impression. I spent 10 years at home with my kids when they were younger and this is my first "real" job since then.

So right now, Im dealing with my neck, my stomach, and even tinnitus. The thing is, I know that TMS is real because even in all this, I still ride my bike pretty much pain-free. I can accept the diagnosis, but my brain is finding other ways to distract my attention.

I'm just thinking that as a self-diagnosed 'goodist" I just worry too much all the time about what everyone else thinks of me, what I should be doing, whether or not I'm pissing people off...

But anyway, I went to the Dr today for a flu shot. While there I asked about my neck. I even mentioned TMS and Sarno. Of course, I was given a blank stare. I was told to get an X-ray and reminded of an X-ray from a couple years ago that showed disc degeneration, most likely making me a candidate for surgery to free up the nerve.

So there you have it. I don't want surgery. I know TMS is real. But I'm starting this structured plan today because I feel stuck right now, like my brain has doubled down on me! Any encouragement would sure help!

Jay

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there, Jay, and welcome to the TMS Wiki and Forum and the SEP!! I'm glad you found us, this is a very supportive group, and we are just FULL of information and resources and advice and different ways to recover. Feel free to read my profile, and be sure to check out our Success Stories subforum.

Yesterday and today I've been posting the link to an excellent movie that came out a year ago, called The Connection by an Australian journalist named Shannon Harvey. Shannon recovered from a serious auto-immune condition by using mind-body awareness, knowledge and techniques. She's offering free streaming of the movie for one week to celebrate the one-year anniversary of its release.

To view it you're asked for your email address, but I've been on her list for more than a year and I know she doesn't abuse it - she sends maybe one email a month, whenever she posts a new article on her blog, so it's always good new information. She's in Australia, so I'm not entirely sure when the free viewing ends, but I got the email announcement yesterday (West coast USA) so through next Tuesday sometime. I have the DVD which I bought last year, but I watched it this morning using the link and it streamed flawlessly to my tablet. It's a little more than an hour long.

Share it and pass it on! : https://www.theconnection.tv/store/