1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day One - Focused Recovery

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Janna, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Janna

Janna New Member

Hello! I am so happy that today I found the tmswiki - what an incredible resource that I wished existed but didn't know existed!

I found Dr Sarno's book after reading a book my mom found at the library, Muscular Retraining for Pain Free Living. That was I believe in June of this year. I had been dealing with chronic pain in my right wrist, arm, and hand for almost a year, with it sometimes affecting my hand and also my left side, as well as the shoulder. I have also had ongoing neck pain.

Doctors said I had tenosynovitis - inflammation in the tendons. I had 2 months of physical therapy, 3 times a week, with minimal improvement. I have been completely off the computer at work now for over 6 months now, and mostly using voice recognition software at home. I declined to take anti-inflammatory drugs as I was concerned about the side effects and interaction with my gastrointestinal problem which is also stress-related. I wore a brace for awhile, bought a fancy (and expensive) cold compression wrap, heat wrap, even a portable ultrasound device. All helped for awhile but then plateaued.

I listed to Sarno's book and immediately identified with it, but I found myself stuck on the actual treatment program. I just never got around to actually doing it and it was always in the back of my mind or another item on my to do list, with no clear direction of what I should actually DO.

Right after I listened to Sarno's book I noticed a dramatic improvement. But then I kind of forgot about it and the symptoms have been coming back a bit, or at least not going away 100%.

I'm hoping for a full recovery by staying focused and really doing the necessary work to get there. I love the day by day action plan. I want to be able to go back to the active life I used to love - long-distance running, salsa dancing, capoeira, strength training trying new sports all the time with no fear or hesitations, and being able to pursue any work imaginable without fear of how my disability will hold me back.

I'm in my mid-20's and want to go back to living the active, unrestricted life I used to enjoy, and should be able to continue!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Janna, and I'm also glad you found us! It sounds like you are totally on track for your recovery. I was lucky enough to find the Wiki and the Ed Program right after I read my first Sarno book which was The Divided Mind. However, I was 60 when that happened, just last year, so it's a good thing I found them so fast.

Double congratulations to you for making this discovery so early in your life - and what a great mom for helping you get started in this direction.

Keep posting, and as you learn from your experiences, I hope you'll join us in reaching out to others - it's really rewarding, and we're all in this together.

Jan

3. Janna

Janna New Member

Thanks!