1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 9: Kristina

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by kkcarlton, Jul 8, 2017.

1. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Question to ponder:
    Have you been overly critical of yourself lately? How and why have you done this?

Yes. I am not in shape anymore and my clothes are all tight. For someone who struggled with anorexia and bulimia for 30+ years that's hard. I can't stand it and I am critical of myself for not feeling better yet. I read in one of Sarno's books that some people get relief just be realizing that there is nothing wrong with them structurally. I believe that for myself as well, but I am still not convinced that the potassium deficiency isn't the cause of back pain. There are other symptoms that come along with not taking enough, like excessive sweating, but getting the dose right seems to be a challenge. I wish I would just "get it" and move on with the program and believe I can get better.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. I encourage you to keep working on your potassium deficiency, but I suspect your symptoms are more from your emotions than anything structural or otherwise. You have to believe 100 percent that TMS repressed emotions are causing your symptoms. Why are you so convinced that potassium deficiency is causing your back pain?

3. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Hi Walt,

When I first had this same back pain in 2014 it was from being on a very high dose of hydrocortisone (for adrenal insufficiency) which depleted magnesium. It's a long story, but once I got off the HC and got my magnesium levels up the pain went away. Last year I stopped most of my supplements, including potassium, and had horrible, excessive sweating. I also had pain which got worse and eventually I felt literally lethargic. I don't know how I stumbled across potassium deficiency, but once I added potassium back in I had an abundance of energy and the pain went away. Since then it seems if I use the right amount I am pain free but finding the right amount is hard. If I take too much I also get pain but maybe that's just what my brain wants me to think. But overall I guess it's because the potassium helped so much initially.

I am still at the very bottom and of the range (93 and the range is 90 to 111) although I am supplementing with potassium, I eat high potassium foods, and I drink 8 to 12 ounces of coconut water daily.

Maybe the low potassium (and magnesium) have something to do with how I am feeling but the deficiency is caused by TMS because of stress.