1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 9 Christmas Gifts

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by LizzyBennet, Dec 5, 2016.

1. LizzyBennet

LizzyBennet New Member

For day 9, I was asked to write if I'm ever to hard on myself. Humm....let me think about that? Am I ever?? How about 24/7!! I do it so frequently I don't even catch myself doing it (but I'm starting too!)

I have a Christmas list and I am responsible for buying the gifts for 95% of our family. I've been stressing out lately about getting my brother and mother's gifts ordered in time so that I can wrap them, and then send them (they live out of state). My mom is divorced, and older, so I want her to have things to unwrap on Christmas. This is all too much on me though. I'm also in charge of my kids gifts, husbands, nieces, in-laws, friends, etc. I'm making it easier on myself this year. Extended family gets 1, maybe two nice gifts, and if you live out of town, it won't be wrapped. Hallelujah, I just pushed the easy button!

Now, back to my task of catching myself being hard on myself...I'm sure there will be more to come.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, LizzyBennett. You sure took a lot on yourself, with that Christmas gift list. Only you know how to handle it.

Can you make buying the presents a 12-month thing, and not just a few weeks?

I'm 86 now and stopped playing Santa Claus several years ago. I exhausted myself.

Try to enjoy the gift part of the season but remember it is not really about Santa Claus.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Another thought. Maybe just give your sister a card saying you are donating all Christmas gift money
    to charity. Don't say how much, and pick a charity. My picks are needy veterans, children, dogs and cats.

4. LizzyBennet

LizzyBennet New Member

Hi Walt! I would love to just make a donation for my mom and brother instead of a gift, but it wouldn't go over well. TheIt's y're poor and they both buy gifts for our kids and my husband and me. I think they would be resentful, "Why are you giving your money to other needy people, we're needy!".

I have shortened my list though, giving less things to my kids and family. Thanks for the advice. And yes, you're right, Christmas for me is about family and time spent together, not gifts.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I sure understand about who would take a charity gift and who would not. Just downsize. Maybe just one gift per person.