1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Margot, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Margot

Margot New Member

Hello,
    I arrived at Day 8 of the educational program so I want to share my TMS story so far. Suffering back problems from early twenties uptill now, being 41, and I have just been diagnosed with a hernia L4/L5.

I started reading dr. Sarno by searching through the internet while having severe back pain attack about 6 weeks ago, not being able to walk, just lying on the floor with a lot of pain killers. While reading dr. Sarno slowely things improved and some how dr. Sarno kept my attention. Alarm bells went of while reading about the TMS personal traits on the wiki site. For certain a Legal(ist), Stoic Perfectionist. :).... and finally ready to start taking my journey since I realize after a weeks work dat TMS is my diagnose and not the L4/L5 hernia (also suffering tinitus, migraines, bladder problems, yeast infections, and chronic fatigue in the past - suddenly realizing while my chronic fatigue faded away at twenty, my back problems started)

So in one weeks time my back pain is gone but I still have a mild numbing sensation in my left leg and foot. What happened ever since I started reading dr. Sarno's book is that my backpain faded away but that the 'pain' was travelling through my body: back pain gone, knees started hurting badly while walking the stairs, knee pain gone next stop a migraine attack, on and of bladder problem, tinitus coming and going aswell.

Huge turmoil has taken place aswell in this week because I decide to amend peace with my sister as we had a huge fall out earlier this year. And on the morning of the appointment my backpain came back straight away - but I realised that it had to do with my emotions so I politly told my brain to STOP it - the pain went and i had a smile being truly amazed - it works! And I became aware of my anxiety over meeting my sister, and emotions such as the relief of seeing her again, but also sadness, guilt and anger.

So now I am slowly adjusting to the thought that it works - also keep continuing to read sucess stories. Also being a very stoic person it takes me a lot of time to realize which emotions i feel - as i am so used to not notice my emotions and to park them "elsewhere" Journaling helps ablot.

The next question for myself is how to deal with all this in relation to the outside world who believes I have a herniated disc at L4/L5 - expecially when it comes to work. They expect me to take physicall treatment - seeing a physiotherapist - they pay for it aswell. Anyone having any thoughts on this? At the moment i don't have the energy to discuss this TMS programm with my boss - but since dr. Sarno recommends to do not any therapy - just get on with daily activities Iam a bit puzzled about this situation.

I was thinking about taking the therapy because it provides a training programm aswell and i would really love to get back into running (which i gave up 20 years ago because of my back problems)

thank you for reading this and kind regards, Margot

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

I had the same exact experience as you reading the book. My advanced pelvic floor physical therapist recommended i read The Divided Mind.

My concern with proceeding with the physical therapy is theY will treat you as if you have that problem and tell you what you can do and not do thus reinforcing the structural problem. My therapist recommended minimal walking. Today I walk 4-5 miles each day.

My personality is to do what I am told... perfectionism.

I would just say your better and decided not to do it. Food for thought.

3. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Good for you to get rid of that back pain! :) Now it looks like you are getting a good dose of the "symptom imperative" with the coming and going of all of those other problems. Your TMS is on the run because you are on the right path.

I would pass on the PT. It's a waste of time. If you want to get back into running, just do it!

4. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Margot,

Speaking as someone who has seen every chiropractor, physiotherapist, acupuncturist, massage therapist, bowen person, etc in the universe, there are all kinds out there. Almost all are focused on the "problem," but I currently have an exercise physiologist and a chiropractor who are convinced that getting more and more back into normal activity is the way to go. I'm finding this support really helpful in combatting my fears that I will hurt myself.

So if you must see someone, look around, there could be someone who leaves you feeling hopeful and inspired rather than feeling broken and in need of fixing. Perhaps the training program you mention could do this. However, it sounds like you are sure doing great just working on the tms, good job!