1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Annifred, May 26, 2019.

1. Annifred

Annifred New Member

I'm 66 years old and I'm on Day 8 of the educational program. I first read John Sarno's books about 20 years ago and I immediately realized that I had TMS. An appointment with a doctor trained by Dr. Sarno confirmed this diagnosis and I was fairly quickly able to rid myself of the back pain that had plagued me for a number of years.

For some reason, I put TMS out of my mind after my back healed, but I continued to have health problems: carpal tunnel (I had surgery to "fix" this problem.), hip problems, neck pain, GERD, lots of food intolerances and gut issues, ulcer, frozen shoulder, tendinitis in both elbows (I had surgery on both of them), bursitis in my hip, a recurrence of elbow pain after healing from surgery, SVT (heart problem). Phew, I think that's it!

About ten days ago, I was somehow drawn to getting Dr. Sarno's books out of my bookcase. I've re-read Healing Back Pain and I'm now reading Steve Ozanich's The Great Pain Deception. I've been so used to focusing on my ailments and going to physical therapy that it's taking me some time to instead think psychological! I'm convinced that all of my ailments are TMS! Now to convince my brain!

2. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

Yes, sometimes it’s easy to forget. Glad you’re back to thinking psychological. I’m in a similar place right now. I’ve never really forgotten the psychological but after my pain came down significantly in 2007, a lower level of pain has lingered since then. I’ve tried other Mindbody approaches which have reduced my pain at times too, but I still haven’t licked it all.

I finally just looked at the 21 day program (got through days 1-9 so far and it’s really helping me. The video on day 4 worked to nearly eliminate my neck pain (temporarily, but I’m still having success making it go away more than once).

Anyway, just wanted to say good luck and never give up. I’m finally realizing I really have to think psychological (or that my pain has nothing to do with my movements) throughout the entire day to counter my many many subconscious thoughts that help to sabotage my body’s ability to feel normal. I’ve known for 13 years about the mindbody connection but my subconscious is very persistent :)

3. Annifred

Annifred New Member

Thanks for your reply and support! It's nice to hear from and talk with someone who's in a similar place. That's so great that the day 4 video helped you with your neck pain! That's a real confirmation that you have TMS.

I've been noticing today how frequently thoughts pop into my head about my body ailments and how, like you, I need to think psychological. I'm also working on taking pleasure in the present.

Good luck to you, too, and let's talk again. It's great to have each other's support.