1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Carol Omans, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Carol Omans

Carol Omans Peer Supporter

I just read Peg Hansons page about her work with TMS and her recovery. Thank you Peg. I am 70 years old and have only being in the program for two weeks. The TMS doc I saw told me to walk. I've been trying but it's very painful and I don't know how much to do or how to keep making progress. I have had pain in my right leg and knee for a very long time. Being OCD, I admit it! I've been working the program overtime and expecting results too quickly. I have to slow down and know that when it's right, the symptoms will disappear.
    Reading all the success stories of people who have recovered in a day actually wasn't helpful. I expected too much from myself and overdid it. But the journaling is great Every night I have dreams that tell me that my thoughts, feelings, memories and things that I'm learning, are getting into my subconcious. Now I have to get them into my concious! Thanks again Peg.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Carol. Yes, try to slow down and not expect immediate results. TMS usually takes its own time to heal, and I found journaling to be the most helpful. Try not to spend more than an hour a day thinking about TMS and your symptoms. I found dreaming helpful... It seems to activate the subconscious. Be more patient and you will be writing your success story.

I too have a problem with patience. I want problems to be solved right away, so it makes me anxious when, like today, someone is slow responding to me in a matter of resolving a bill I never approved. When will they email or phone me?

3. Carol Omans

Thanks Walt. I have the same issue of wanting to tie up all of my loose ends RIGHT NOW! It's been two weeks since I've started the program and I'm doing better. I am so grateful. My daughter noticed that I am walking with less of a limp. Incredible. I was just able to sit down and write my story. I actually spend several hours a day reading and journaling. My dreams have been amazing! But like Dr. Sarno wrote in his book, the unconscious is faster than the conscious. Thanks for writing to me. It's so good to know that someone else is interested, listening and helpful. I hope you feel well and are having a great day. Love the pic of your dog. I want a dog so much, but I need to be able to really walk again. Thanks again, Carol!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Giving yourself a reward for healing is a good idea. Maybe make getting a dog your goal.

5. Carol Omans

Great idea!

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Carol, I'm 86 and believe having a dog has kept me going this long,. I've had 3, one at a time, and all black Lab mixes. Each of them full of love and companionship.

MSZ812 likes this.
  7. Carol Omans

How do you have the energy to keep up with them? Bless you! I worry because I can't walk distances, I work out of my townhouse. I'm a social worker and patients come. I worry that a dog will be a distraction and I need to work for the financial support. Also I have to make a decision soon because a breeder has offered me the most adorable 25 lb dog. He's housebroken too. But I doubt my ability to take care of him. Also I've been living alone for a long time. Will it be too disruptive? And the expense? Oh listen to all of my fears! So tired of myself and my inability to make a decision! I do have a little patio where he could go and a dog park close by. Thanks Walt. I waffle on this every day. I know it isn't helping my TMS. No one loves dogs more than I do. My best friend Curly died three years ago and I'm still not over it. It makes me feel crazy. Thanks for listening.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi again, Carol. I can't take Annie for walks as I used to, and know it won't be long before we part.
    I miss my previous dogs very much and know how you must miss Curly. I don't think you should get another dog
    until you are able to play with it and take it for walks. Make up your mind that you will do this, and keep your memories of Curly. I would get a cat but they too require care and I am allergic to cats. Some of your patients might be allergic to cats. Thank the dog breeder, but take a pass. For now, concentrate on becoming free of pain. You will be better. Believe it.

9. Carol Omans

Thank you so much for your wise reply. I know you're right.