1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Padraig, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Padraig

Padraig Newcomer

Hi Everyone
    I'm Pat. Its Day 8. I've a few days where I've been strong. Today is Monday and I'm feeling anxious and fearful. I read Peghanson success story. I probably put pressure on myself to do this healing too well. And I beat myself up.
    Pat

2. Padraig

Padraig Newcomer

Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain? If you have, how do these emotions make you feel? If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this?
    Only today have I recognised that fear is a huge thing for me. I am afraid of the future, of continuing with pain. I am afraid to chnage because I want everything to go back to where it was before pain. And if it doesn't i thoink the only alternative is pain. I feel the fear like a burst of heat between the tummy and the lungs. This fear makes me feel panicked and scared. And anxious loike i want to hide and run away from it.
    I fear hearing stories of people who have not recovered - that'll be me is the feeling
    Pat

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. Pat, I hope you can get better at living in the present. Let the past be behind you, after discovering your repressed emotions, and don't think or worry about the future. Just take each moment and hour of each day as it comes. Find things to do and think about that give you pleasure. It's okay to visualize good things out of the past, like vacations and people you enjoyed being with,
    and bring those images into the present.

Try to find ways to laugh, or at least smile. They are both great for mind and body healing.

Laughing is really healthy. It releases endorphins that make us feel better.

One of the best feelings in the world is the deep-rooted bellylaugh. It can bring people together and establish amazing connections. Everything from a slight giggle to a side-splitting guffaw can change the temperature of a room from chilly unfamiliarity to a warm family-like atmosphere.

There is so much to love about laughter that it seems greedy to look for more, but that’s exactly what researchers Dr. Lee Berk and Dr. Stanley Tan at the LomaLindaUniversity in California have done. These two doctors have researched the benefits of laughter and found amazing results. Get ready to get your giggle on!

1. Laughing lowers blood pressure
    People wholower their blood pressure, even those who start at normal levels, will reduce their risk of strokes and heart attacks. So grab the Sunday paper, flip to the funny pages and enjoy your laughter medicine.

2. Reduces stress hormone levels
    You benefit from reducing the level of stress hormones your body produces because hormone-level reduction simultaneously cuts the anxiety and stress impacting your body. Additionally, thereduction of stress hormonesin your body may result in higher immune system performance. Just think: Laughing along as a co-worker tells a funny joke can relieve some of the day's stress and help you reap the health benefits of laughter.

3. Fun ab workout
    One of the benefits of laughter is that it can help youtone your abs. When you are laughing, the muscles in yourStomachexpand and contract, similar to when you intentionally exercise your abs. Meanwhile, the muscles you are not using to laugh are getting an opportunity to relax. Add laughter to your ab routine and make getting a toned tummy more enjoyable.

4. Improves cardiac health
    Laughter is a greatcardio workout, especially for those who are incapable of doing other physical activity due to injury or illness. It gets your heart pumping and burns a similar amount of calories per hour as walking at a slow to moderate pace. So, laugh your heart into health.

5. Boosts T cells
    T cells are specialized immune system cells just waiting in your body for activation. When you laugh, you activate T cells that immediately begin to help you fight offSickness. Next time you feel a cold coming on, add chuckling to your illness prevention plan.

6. Triggers the release of endorphins
    Endorphins are the body’s natural pain killers. By laughing, you can release endorphins, which can help easechronic painand make you feel good all over.

7. Produces a general sense of well-being
    Laughter can increase your overall sense of well-being. Doctors have found that people who have apositive outlookon life tend to fight diseases better than people who tend to be more negative. So smile, laugh and live longer!

If you can't laugh, just smile. It does about the same for you as laughing.
    Smile

Music: Charles Chaplin from “Modern Times”
    Lyrics: John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons

Smile, though your heart is aching
    Smile, even though it’s breaking
    When there are clouds in the sky
    you’ll get by
    If you smile through your fear and sorrow
    Smile and maybe tomorrow
    You’ll see the sun come shining through
    for you

Light up your face with gladness
    Hide every trace of sadness Although a tear may be ever so near
    That’s the time you must keep on trying
    Smile what’s the use of crying
    You’ll find that life is still worthwhile
    If you’ll just
    Smile

4. mbo

mbo Well known member

some doubts about

The clue is "always smile"? ... even actually we are sad, angry, furious, guilty, frustrated,... ?

Is that "smiling actitude" a way to please others, to fake ourselves, to repress our unbearable emotions, to present a good image of ourselves ?

Can we hide inside us a desvastating emotional "civil war" whereas our face is illuminated with a false pretty smile?

Is that "permanent smiling" counterproductive and a real source of our TMS pain?

Just guessing. ;-)
    M