1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SME61, Jul 10, 2016.

1. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

I m now on day 8, I probably should be on day 12 or 13, but sometimes I need to skip the journal and SEP because of family and work commitments. Is that acceptable and okay?
    I worry hat skipping some days might actually slow my recovery.

I really, really want to believe that the using the SEP and accepting that TMS is my issue will get my pain to go away. I do believe that many of the emotional issues (I experienced as a child) and stress now, is contributing to my back injury and pain in my left leg. However, as someone that is an obsessive worrier I am concerned that I am still feeling pain (it's not really bad a 1-3 on the pain scale). I am not sure how to let go and just do the treatment!

I have been reading Dr. Sarno's book most nights and journaling. I try and meditate twice a day and have had training in TM.

I am seeing Dr. Paul Gwozdz (A TMS MD) one week from tomorrow and I am really hoping that an afirmative diagnosis from him will help.

Does anyone that is an obsessive worrier have any advice about techniques to "accept the diagnosis" or "trust that this will work and it will get better"?

Thanks for the help!

Steve

2. nelsonaj

nelsonaj New Member

Hi Steve.
    I am a chronic worrier as well, always letting my mind think the worst of any given scenario as opposed to staying mindful and focusing on the present. Because I am like this, I knew I had to seek out a doctor to help with the recovery process (I saw Dr. Gwozdz a couple weeks ago and attended his lecture). I found it helpful to hear affirmation from a physician, and in speaking with him, even came to some realizations about certain things I didn't recognize I was feeling.
    I'm in my third week of the SEP and I admit that I am still skeptical at times, but I think that as you get further and further into the process you will start see and experience things that provide further evidence that this diagnosis is real. For me in particular, its noticing the movement and changes in my symptoms at different points in time, and being able to connect the physical feelings with emotional events that took place over the years.
    I have also recently started mindful meditation, and While I can't say for sure that it's helped yet, I do believe that it's a learning process..I don't think you can just one day start meditating and feel better..I believe that it will take some time to truly learn how to get in touch with yourself through meditation and reap the benefits. The reason for this is because I do yoga, and when I first started I really didn't feel anything different and found it difficult to connect to the breath...now I always feel more relaxed and calm after taking a class. I feel they are very similar as far as connecting with yourself and being mindful. So keep at it...it just takes time.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, SME61. It's okay to skip a few days in the SEProgram. Do it at your own pace.

Here are some suggestions about overcoming worry:

Calming Techniques That Help With Stress, Anxiety
    [​IMG]
    By Kim Tranell

We asked top meditation and mindfulness pros for their best on-the-spot, do-anywherecalming techniques-- because who has time for chanting "om" when you're about to lose it?

1. Count Your Breaths
    Best For: Surviving Red-Alert Emergencies
    When it comes to calming down, deep breathing is still the place to start. "By forcing yourself to breathe as you do in your most relaxed moments, you trick your body into releasing calming neurohormones, causing a biological shift in how you feel," says psychotherapist Belleruth Naparstek, a leader in the field of guided imagery. "Just inhale and feel your abdomen expand. Go as slowly as possible, counting in -- 1-2-3. Then, observe the turn of your breath, and breathe it out -- 1-2-3. Whether you do this for one minute or five, it's going to bring you to a calmer place."

2. Be Here Now
    Best For: Combating Worst-Case-Scenario Anxiety
    "Our minds are constantly in the past or the future -- we'll ruminate on what's too late to change or catastrophize about what hasn't happened yet," says Diana Winston, a director at the UCLAMindfulAwarenessResearchCenter and coauthor ofFully Present. "But the more you practice coming back to the present, the less anxious you'll feel. For example, when I wash dishes, instead of letting my mind wander to all my worries, I really try to show up and pay attention to the sensations of the task -- the water, the heat, the plate in my hand. Eyes open or closed okay.”

3. Flex And Release
    Best For: Letting Go Of Work Tension
    "Start by clenching the muscles in your forehead and face as you take a breath and hold it for a moment," says Nina Smiley, Ph.D., coauthor ofThe Three Minute Meditator. "As you release the tension, exhale fully and relax. Work your way down your body, repeating the process. The tightening and releasing is a physical cue to the body to let stress go."

4. Ines

Ines Well known member

You can take all the time you need doing SEP. It's taken me 2 1/2 months to get to Day 28. Why rush? This is a lifestyle change. Please don't pressure yourself so much. Have you gotten to the part about your inner bully yet in the SEP?

5. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Hi
    Thanks so much for the helpful replies, Nelsonaj, Walt and Ines. It means a lot that everyone is cheering for me.
    I am still plowing ahead, I am looking forward to the diagnosis from Dr. Gwozdz next week. I am thinking that even if I don't have TMS (I probably do) at least I am dealing with my years of pent up feelings.

Good to hear I am not the only worrier!
    Thanks for the tips too.

I wrote a letter to my inner bully. It was a bit tough but I did it anyway!

Thanks again!
    Steve