1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 - Where am I in my TMS Treatment?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by page4ever, Aug 14, 2022.

1. page4ever

page4ever New Member

I have just completed Day 8 of the Structured Education Program and have just completed Dr. Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain. I also read The Mind Body Prescription weeks ago. I am simultaneously watching Dan Buglio Facebook videos, listening to Nicole Sach's podcast and participating in JournalSpeak. I am doing the work, just intellectually still trying to understand everything. I do relate to a lot of the stories I've read about, as far as symptoms go and have done some online TMS assessments that say I have TMS.

I guess I am just a little confused when people say you have to believe 100%. What am I needing to believe 100%, that I have TMS? That these methods will work for me? Both of these things? Something else? I am always the person who has a million questions (usually no one can answer) and always want to understand the inner workings of everything (which drives others nuts). Right now I feel like I am not 100% clear on everything yet. I will continue the 40 day program. I figure that over time, the blend of science, success stories and observations of what's happening with me as I do the work will hopefully cement everything for me and my mind and body will have a true aha moment.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't fall into the trap of overthinking and intellectualizing - those are both activities created by your brain for the sole purpose of making you believe you are accomplishing something, when in reality you are spinning your wheels and remaining stuck in fear and doubt.

Forget the 100%, because you are way too hung up on it, which means that you'll just waste time constantly measuring it, and continue to get nowhere. Personally I don't think 100% belief is absolutely required. I do believe that two things are required:

1. Commitment to the process and enough faith to stick with it. IOW, just do the work. You've got a good start on this, but you are in danger of overthinking and overdoing.

2. Honesty - and I do believe that this one needs to be 100%. You have to do the work, and do it with nothing less than complete honesty with yourself. The focus for this is that when you're doing any writing exercise, listen to your brain trying to edit what you're writing down (it will) and resist it. This is not easy! Use ratty old scrap paper and a pen or pencil that is fast and comfortable and allows you to scribble down your thoughts as quickly as you can, to the point of illegibility. Don't stop to let your brain edit, just keep writing shit down, no matter what it is. Then be sure to throw out your writing after every exercise is done.

As for overdoing/thinking, revisit what @Booble told you in your first thread. It's important to find balance, and give yourself a break. Or, as she put it:

Cap'n Spanky, page4ever and Booble like this.
  3. Booble

Booble Well known member

Personally I think when someone has pain or other symptoms there is always going to be a little doubt if it's something else. That's normal. We're all human. The "100% rule" I think is trying to replicate the way a placebos work. If you have an inkling that it's really a sugar pill and not a medical wonder treatment than the placebo effect doesn't happen. You need 100% belief for placebo to work.
    But with TMS it's different. You are not just believing that some magic cure will happen. It's not a sugar pill -- you are doing the work to unlock the emotional traumas that are causing the problem. If you 100% believe in TMS in concept, and if you have a strong suspicion that is what is likely causing your symptoms -- that is enough. You'll believe it 100% when one day you realize, "Hey, my symptoms are all gone and I didn't even notice because I'm not even thinking about them anymore. "

Waiting until you "believe 100%" that your symptoms are from TMS is just a stalling tactic. Your brain (the lower part) doesn't want you to get better because it likes keeping you down. If it can keep you away from facing your emotions it will.

Cap'n Spanky and page4ever like this.
  4. Booble

Booble Well known member

So true about the illegibility! The deeper you go, the more illegible it gets. You always know you are too intellectualizing and not "in the zone" when your handwriting is your normal neat writing.

page4ever likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oooh, @Booble, you need to Google "Ted Kaptchuk placebo effect". We are talking nothing less than Harvard Medical School. Also, we had a great thread discussion about this some years back, which included a reference to Kaptchuk's work - let me see if I can find that link.

We all agree that the placebo effect is real - what we need to consider is that it's possible to harness it and use it as a self-healing tool. The only problem: Big Pharma ain't gonna fund it.

page4ever and Booble like this.
  6. page4ever

page4ever New Member

Thank you very much for response. I really appreciate it!

7. page4ever

page4ever New Member

This makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for your response. I'm definitely feeling resistance and stalling tactics by my brain. LOL! Thanks for pointing out this might be a normal part of the brain's process in trying to protect me from the emotions.

Booble likes this.
  8. Booble

Booble Well known member

Good luck - enjoy the journey!

page4ever likes this.