1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Day 8: take a hike!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by David B, Dec 25, 2013.

1. David B

David B Well known member

That's what did yesterday in response to the day 7 instructions and it was great! I wasn't pain free except for a moment here and there. But I caught a glimpse. I let my child push me to explore beyond the time My parent self allotted because it want to explore. That led me to...

...a little peak. I put my face in the sun and was so happy to be there. Staying present with the feel of sun, cool wind and the sound of the wind through the trees wasn't always easy but it's something I hadn't done in a long time and not because of the pain. I hadn't because I haven't really been taking care of myself even though I thought I was.

I woke up today and the first few hours were a battle and I was pissed at the pain and my mind for creating it. I cursed at my brain outloud. My wonderful daughter helped me carry a chair to the Christmas tree because she saw me grimace. My wonderful wife reminded how far I have come in just a few weeks. I calmed down. Things got better.

Peg Hansen who you read about on day 8 ended her story with a great set of encouraging words that were very appropriate for my state of mind today:

"Hang in there everyone. Breathe and relax. You've found the answer. You're body is just trying to teach you to take care of yourself. You are enough." - Peg Hanson

lauren4235 and Stella like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, David. How wonderful you were able to take that hike and bask in the sunlight.
    Peg Hanson's advice is sound. Breathe deeply and relax.
    I also laugh. Dr. Don Colter says in his book 10 Pillars of Health that he advises his patients,
    including those with fibromyalgia and cancer, to laugh at least 20 seconds ten times a day.
    It releases endorphins and dopamine that help us to relax. I practice it as a really helpful
    TMS healing technique.

If there's nothing funny to laugh at, pretend there is, and laugh. The mind doesn't know
    you're faking it. It just registers as laughter.

I can picture you and your family having a very nice Christmas.

lauren4235 likes this.