1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

day 8 symptoms and emotions - a question ?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by nelle, Aug 15, 2016.

1. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

Not charting your pain levels or symptoms levels i agree with , i think that is putting to much attention on them . I understand doing the journaling and working to understand what could be causing the TMS . How ever i struggle with the idea of trying to look at the emotions behind the symptoms at the time of having them . Say you go out with dinner with someone and your symptoms are aggravated /flared . If i start asking myself what is it in the situation or relationship that is causing the flare up . For me it usually increases my anxiety and then the symptoms . because in doing that i am reacting to the emotional physically and then im in a battle . Is it not better to just accept that your triggered tell yourself its just tms and try to put your attention on living and being where you are ?

Nelle

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nelle. You gave yourself the advice I would. If the dinner meeting or other situation isn't perfect, enjoy what it was and don't analyze it.
    As you say, put your attention on living and being where you are. That's all "living in the present" is. I find that distracting myself from worries or anxieties really helps.