1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 SEP

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by giantsfan, Jan 28, 2016.

1. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

So I've been told by the computer to briefly post about my treatment thus far. I first read about TMS and Dr. Sarno about 3 weeks ago now and had a little yet immediate relief of some of my most troubling symptoms. I even went for a short 3 min jog just to prove to my mind that I can do it. Then quickly after.... I put pressure on myself along with fear and anger to recover quickly to go back and do x, y, and z. My symptoms came back pretty strong (extinction point? I don't know...).

Anyways, had my first session with a TMS therapist via skype yesterday and started feeling a bit of relief in pain again. I also just got The Divided Mind in the mail today too so I'm looking forward to reading that as well. So currently some of my symptoms have calmed down and hardly at all using my cane (I keep it hidden in the trunk of my car now). I don't really want to think about it all too much anyways which is why I'm a bit hesitant to post much on this site. The only reason I did though is because I know there are many wonderful people on this forum that spend much of their time trying to help, guide and comfort others during their healing process. So thanks to all of you!

"Learn how to see. Realize that everything is connected to everything else." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Gotta love Leo! He was a pretty insightful guy!
    I'm so glad you were able to Skype with a TMS therapist and found it helpful. Yay for progress! I think you're probably correct in "hiding" the cane. Out of sight, out of mind. Perhaps later in recovery you'll bring it out as a reminder of how far you've come
    Be patient with the recovery. Sometimes it's even one step forward, two back for a while. It's a process. Congrats on all you've done so far.

giantsfan likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi giantsfan. I like Gigi's advice and echo it... keep jogging if you can, and add a minute or two each day. It will build confidence.

If a cane makes you think you need some support, maybe instead use a "walking stick." I have both a cane and a walking stick and rarely use either,
    but I'm, 85 and fearing falling is a major concern.

giantsfan likes this.